SAIC Personal Statement / My Art Is Human

phenotype 2 / 8  
PROMPT: Writing is a very important component of being an artist. We will be looking closely at your ability to compose an essay, as well as the manner in which you utilize text as a tool. We are interested in finding out more about you, why you do what you do, and why you are a strong candidate for SAIC's undergraduate program. Please also include information about community service projects, exhibitions you have participated in, or any other activities that contribute to the making of your work.

(SAIC is an art school in Chicago)

ESSAY:
My Art is Human

"Never judge a book by its cover" is a metaphor reminding humans that beyond what the eye can see. In fact, the most important substances of a person, personality, attitude, ideas, etc., are invisible. Scientifically, the most relevant of a person is also invisible as we unable to see the molecules that make up a human. In this sense, I believe my art is human.

While I do believe aesthetics is a factor in my work, the main driving force and substance is the concept, which lies underneath the surface as I use metaphors and abstraction to create my work. This force motivates me to continuously explore, research, and experiment, which has made me more well -rounded and accounts for much of my personal and artistic growth.

The obsession I have with humans has led me to create work concerning social aspects of human life as well as the human condition. However, my current fascination in science has allowed me to expand beyond that causing my more recent work to focus around cycles and loops. My exploration deals with more than just ideas, however, which has caused me to become familiar with more than one medium.

In order for my art to continue to improve, both conceptually and aesthetically, I myself must expand my knowledge and techniques as well. I truly believe The School of the Arts Institute in Chicago is a wonderful fit for me because it allows me to explore many majors as well as many mediums.

Even though much of my art is revolves around humans and has the potential to make an impact, I understand that it is not a solution. After all my art is only human.

----

I'm not quite sure what else to add to it...or if it even fits the prompt. Feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
That can only be learned through conversation and time, but by taking that time, we may gain a new friend.

As a human, my art has many secrets, waiting to be found .---How do you feel about changing this word to 'uncovered'?

Exploration has caused me to search for beauty in things people deem ugly, to look at things from many different perspectives, as well as the importance of keeping an open mind.

Through research, I have discovered how to embrace both the differences and the similarities I share with every individual (and has made me great at trivia games).--- :)

This then becomes an endless cycle, as I create to learn, and in learning, I create. This whole experience is art, and my work is a documentation of it. ---These two sentences are so great!

As one of the top rated art schools, I know SAIC will help me thrive, not only as an artist, but also as a person.

I think your essay is awesome. They'll be lucky to have you as a student! Good luck in school and have fun!

:)

------
aripeters17 4 / 10  
Your essay is so good!! (I read the 3rd draft) Your analogy about your art being human was amazing, and I really enjoyed reading about it. There was only one small thing I would change: "While I do believe aesthetics is are a factor in my work..."
OP phenotype 2 / 8  
Thank you very much! I really appreciate all of the help.
I just sent in my essay. Wish me luck. (:

Home / Undergraduate / SAIC Personal Statement / My Art Is Human