'Santoor music' - Stanford roommate short essay

ysysysys 3 / 7 1  
Virtually all of Stanford's undergraduates live on campus. Write a note to your future roommate that reveals something about you or that will help your roommate - and us - know you better.

Do you think the last part about my expectations is unnecessary and I should use it do describe myself more?

Dear roommate,
As we start our adventure toward achieving our dreams,I know we will pass lots of ups and downs together and I am just so excited for it to get it started.Persians have an expression that says,"You will never really get to know a person until you live with them under a roof."As much as I know this letter cannot fully describe me to you,I want to start by telling you some of the things that I enjoy and care about.

Though it might not quite sound like it on paper, my friends know me as a very funny person.I can laugh with you all you want until our faces turn blue!One the other side,I'm serious at times and I can listen to you as long as you want.

I have an extrovert personality and love traveling;if a Friday class is canceled,you probably won't find me until the next Monday as I come back from a trip.I love watching movies and shopping too.Thus,if you enjoy any of these activities,we can spend hours wandering in the mall or theater, or making snow balls in Lake Tahoe.

I'm a huge music lover.My instrument,Santoor, is a very important part of my personality.Although it is a very different type of music,I'm applying classic Piano songs to it.If you like music too,we can gather and create something;I'll take request and learn to play any songs you like.

I can spend hours staring at an oil painting.You might not see canvas and brushes everywhere in our room, but every now and then, if I am in the mood,I really can't help it but to start painting.The truth is,if there was nothing on Earth to learn, my days would probably end up only playing music and painting.

With all of this said, there are certain things that I don't like.Please, let us have a clean, tidy room.Also,I prefer to host friends outside of our room.We can chat more about this and I will certainly accommodate your expectations.

I am looking forward to spending the most memorable years of my lives together and I hope to be a good roommate for you.
Regards,
Your future roommate,
[my name]
With all of thisHaving said all these , there are certain things that I don't like.Please, let us have a clean, tidy room.Also,I prefer to host friends outside of our room.We can chat more about this and I will certainly accommodate your expectations.

I feel this part needs to be tackled more politely. When you say I don't like this, that and the other, it gives the impression that you are a choosy guy. You can indicate your dislikes in a more diplomatic way :D

e.g. :
I am keen on keeping our room clean and tidy and hope you too would be on my side. :D
OP ysysysys 3 / 7 1  
that's a great way to say it. I actually wasn't sure if I should have those sentences or have them removed. thanks for the help Dumi
:D

You can even say:
... I am sure you would be on my side------ poor fellow wont have any chance but to say yes to you :PAlso, I am wondering whether you should introduce yourself at the very beginning giving some personal details. I feel the introduction comes a little late although you have nicely presented it:

Why I say that is, you are talking to someone who does not have any idea about your existance and he would, for sure, like to know your name and where you come from. So I feel you better first introduce yourself, i mean your name at least before coming to your personal traits and other stuff. In my view, this should happen sooner, at least in the second or third sentence, if not in the first one itself. :D

Hope my comments are helpful. However, you've done a good job :- )

Home / Undergraduate / 'Santoor music' - Stanford roommate short essay