Sarcastic Common Application Essay

bob92 2 / 5  
Edit : Taken down for editing. Will post when back up.

As for the ending, I meant it to show how I have a sense of humor by using sarcasm to show how I consider my "dry and non humorous personality unique to me.

" I grew more and more frustrated as I could not seem to find anything extraordinary about me. Academically, culturally and aspiration wise I am as average as Joe. Sure, I have had a rigorous and through high school career, diverse extracurricular activities and hobbies, a blended culture and deep insatiable passion for medicine- but sureley these things don't make me stand out.

So, what could I write about? As I sat in my computer desk chair, the answer hit me. I have a very dry personality."

I suppose I can end it with something more truthful about my self.
daniamxg 1 / 16  
I like this.
It's unique, and very well written.
The only thing I don't like is the ending, it seems to just drop off a cliff. Your essay explains how you were not satisfied with writing about any of your achievements, and then the very last sentence brings out a whole new concept. It leaves the the reader slightly confused.

One last thing, the conversation with Chris does not sound completely realistic, and you are in danger of sounding snobby.
Ex.

True, I replied back, I have shown a great deal of passion for medicine and erected a strong foundation from which I can build on in higher education, but isn't that the whole point of high school??

Most high school students don't talk about strong foundations on which they can build higher education in a casual conversation with their friends.

Overall though, I really like your concept and writing style.
OP bob92 2 / 5  
Thank you very much on your insight. I am still think hard on how to end the essay to the best of my ability.
qyuiosilent 4 / 22  
Hi bob92,

Interesting but dangerous approach. I think you really

need to write about something that that makes me stand out.

Your first sentence

Average as Joe

and your last sentence

I have a very dry personality.

paints you in a negative light.

I grew more and more frustrated as I could not seem to find anything extraordinary about me

What is extraordinary about you is your personality. Besides being sarcastic, what other qualities do you have?

I won't put you down so much as this is the essay, amongst many I read in this forum, that made me

go "Wow".

Since you are an average Joe, why should admission officers let you enter?
OP bob92 2 / 5  
The point of this essay is to show that I'm no average Joe. It does in a sarcastic way mentions all my achievements and at the same time shows my personality as a down to earth kind of guy with a sense of humor.

I did not actually mean seriously to write an essay on my averageness, but to show through sarcasm, that I am unique, I stand out and I have a sense of humor.

I wanted this to show my major accomplishments in a way that did not seem like bragging and being pushy.

The last line was put for a humorous effects ( which I obviously failed at accomplishing).
mmmargarita 10 / 79  
I have yet to read your whole essay, so I can't judge it properly. But regarding this line:
"Sure, I have had a rigorous and through high school career, diverse extracurricular activities and hobbies, a blended culture and deep insatiable passion for medicine- but sureley these things don't make me stand out"

I get where you're coming from with the sarcastic approach, but the problem is, a lot of other applicants will have 3 of the 4 things you mentioned: they will have a challenging curric, diverse ECs, and be passionate about a particular field, especially if you plan on applying to top schools.
qyuiosilent 4 / 22  
Hi,

Ok, I understand your style and your intention. It would be better if you can improve the sense of humor in this essay. I find myself frowning most of the time when I'm reading through.

Yes, your accomplishments were numerous and amazing. Unless there is no other sections in the Common App Form for you to write about them, then you may go ahead and write them here. Or you can pick some major accomplishments and talk in detail about it and say that after all they were nothing as compared to those accomplished by heroes in our centuries. (Obviously, you are probably way better than an average high school student)

Some admission officers may like it, some may not. I'm ambivalent.

Home / Undergraduate / Sarcastic Common Application Essay