'save the poor and change the world' Commonapp E.C.A

maroon5 9 / 57  
Okay, so i wrote two drafts on the essay-

1)As a young boy, I had always wanted to save the poor and change the world. Although much older now, I am thankfully none the wiser, and have thus jointly initiated a youth movement and immersed myself in community development projects over the past two years. My work with the movement has ranged from organizing UNIC scholarships for underprivileged school children, to leading open discussions in the slums to raise awareness as to the merits of an education. However, I feel as though my service has actually benefited me more than the community. Years ago, I could never envision myself supervising a hundred or so rallying volunteers, or being able to communicate so freely with refugees whose language I barely even knew, and convincing them to send their kids to school. My work has also broadened my perceptions, and made me accept and embrace the fact that there will always be opinions that differ from my own. Community service has truly been the most rewarding experience of my life.

2)"You have to send him to school." The father stared at me, his vacuous expression belying his inner turmoil. "Please" I persisted, "it will be so much better if he goes." After an eternity of silence and contemplation, he finally nodded his head and signed up his son's name in my register.

As a young boy, I had always wanted to change the world. Although much older now, I am thankfully none the wiser, and have thus jointly initiated a youth movement and immersed myself in community development projects. My work over the past two years ranged from organizing UNIC scholarships for underprivileged school children, to convincing low-income families to send their kids to school. However, I feel as though my service has actually benefited me more than the community. Years ago, I could never envision myself supervising a hundred or so volunteers, or communicating so freely with refugees whose language I barely even knew. Community service has truly been the most rewarding experience of my life.

SO WHICH ONE DO YOU GUYS THINK IS BETTER??? I will be happy to look over your work as well...Thanks a lot
Musicforleisure 3 / 33  
I personally like the second one : )
It is engaging.
My suggestion:
"...refugees whose language I barely even knew. I think there should be a slight transition between these two sentences Community service has truly been the most rewarding experience of my life."

I hope this helps!
please take a look at mine : D

Home / Undergraduate / 'save the poor and change the world' Commonapp E.C.A