'I saw a future for me at Boston University' - College of Communications - Why BU?

kerry2654 13 / 37 12  
I want to speak about the tour for my first paragraph and I know it sounds awkward. What can I say to make it better?

Boston University Supplement
Word Count: 233

In no more than 250 words, please tell us why BU is a good fit for you and what specifically has led you to apply for admission.

Walking through the Boston University campus, I forgot to be the model prospective student. Others asked questions and wrote notes while I stayed quiet. Using reviews and rankings as guidance, I developed my preliminary college list junior year from schools for public relations; Recommendations for Boston University emphasized its College of Communication recognition so I placed it on my pending list. However, I wanted the tour to confirm my decision. Placing myself in my tour guide's accounts, I saw a future for me at Boston University.

I was initially engaged by the College of Communication as it emphasizes a challenging curriculum. An intense, high-quality education secures the effectiveness of my future expertise. The mass communications foundation will ensure my versatility in communications while the public relations specialization will concentrate my communications skills to my desired field. Also, unique to Boston University is their Los Angeles semester with a public relations track. As an aspiring entertainment publicist, I look forward to Entertainment Promotion (COM CM 564) and Entertainment Marketing (COM CM 563); these courses will enhance my understanding of entertainment communications to prepare for my career goals. Furthermore, the College of Communications will allow me to explore the world of public relations through its internship and networking opportunities in PRLab and the semester in Los Angeles. Through the hands-on experiences, I will graduate equipped with expanded knowledge and a more realistic perspective of communications.
Kerry, consider removing the earlier part of your statement in order to make the tour sound more natuarl in the essay. I would delete the following portion in favor of better building up my tour experience instead:

Walking through the Boston University campus, I forgot to be the model prospective student. Others asked questions and wrote notes while I stayed quiet. Using reviews and rankings as guidance, I developed my preliminary college list junior year from schools for public relations;

The next part that immediately deals with how you allowed the tour to influence your decision making process is a better point to start off the essay with. I have a question though. In the portion where you said :

Placing myself in my tour guide's accounts,

Didn't you really mean to say:

Placing myself in my tour guide's hands,

The above sentence seems more fitting and descriptive of what happened during the tour. The English phrase is "placing myself in (noun) hands..." Unless, you meant to say "Taking into account my tour guide's statements..." I think that particular line is in for some revision.

As for the rest of the essay, I believe that the references you made to the reasons why you chose BU are strong, relevant, and displays a certain amount of analysis in your choice of university. So I would not change those factors anymore. I would use those as is.

Home / Undergraduate / 'I saw a future for me at Boston University' - College of Communications - Why BU?