"School bullying is a despicable act" - Texas a&m, issue of importance

neko16 1 / -  
Choose an issue of importance to you-the issue could be personal, school related, local, political, or international in scope-and write an essay in which you explain the significance of that issue to yourself, your family, your community, or your generation.

heres mine:
i want your input please and any corrections =]

School bullying is a despicable act that can result in a horrifying experience, yet many schools do not have strong rules and regulations against bullying. Bullying is an ongoing thing occurs in schools daily. The statistics of students being bullied and the after math are usually underreported unless there is a death. From experience, I can testify that there are numerous acts of indiscipline and self destructed behaviors associated with being bullied.

The final weeks of my 8th grade year were full bright and full of excitement, until my bus rider friends made my life miserable. It all started when we were walking home after school, as usual we had our typical conversations, and however they decided after school tomorrow we would smoke pot. The way my friends sounded, seemed as they already had prior discussion amongst themselves, bringing it up at this time seem like a final deal. Needless to say, I was so shaken up and scared, so I stayed at home the next day and played being sick, avoiding confrontation and getting trouble. Following Monday, after school at the bus stop, my friends confronted me and called me names. They didn't even buy my explanation for a second of me being sick that day, so at this point, I told them I skipped school because I didn't want to participate in smoking pot. They got mad, starting yelling, cussing me, and even cut me off as their friend. The following week, not only did they cut me off, they constantly harassed me and made life difficult for me. As a result of the hostility from them, I requested a bus change and informed my parents I requested a bus change. My parents advised me not to get in a fight and let authorities know what's going on so I don't get in trouble. To be on the safe side, I reported to the school authorities. However to my utmost surprise, it made everything worse and this time around my parents got involved with the school authority and requested conference with the parent's of the students involved. To my knowledge, my parents never had any conference with those parents because according to the school principal they were unable to reach those parents.

One day in the gym, a boy jumped on me and punched me in the face. I immediately walked to the principal's office and he even followed me. Before I could get to the principal's office, he pulled on my hair, but this time I didn't let it go. So I turned around, and started punching him, beating him down, and this was entirely witnessed by the principal who happened to be in the hallway. To my greatest disappointment, both of us were suspended at the end. Above all, the boy confessed that he acted based on the instruction from my ex bus rider friends. Again, my parents demanded conference with his parents, but never got one.

Nevertheless my parents continued to come to school as the bullying continued within the school and at the bus stop. At a point, two of the bullies were suspended only for two days for making death threats. This escalated the whole incident and they swore I'd be dead on graduation day by any means and don't care if they go to prison. My parents' priority at this time was my safety and swore to protect me by any means. Although, I had gotten myself ready for graduation, dressed and accessorized, needless to say, I stayed home due to my parents' instruction.

Now that I am safe, my feeling at this point was to sit back and design ways to fit in high school. I finally convinced myself that I can perfectly fit in by bullying anybody and doing things my way. This choice I made gotten me into multiple disciplinary problems, I was very close into being sent to a alternative school and boot camp. During that time, some of the issues I had were I didn't care about school or teachers. I had a reason for that, my reason for doing that is that I believed authorities couldn't protect me and bullies always win. I was wrong, but fortunate to have a dad who constantly sat on me until I turned my behavior around. Now I understand being a bully doesn't get you anywhere and no one should be bullied for any reason. More importantly, schools need to have very strong rules about bullying for any student that breaks the rule.

A lot of students are going through what I went through or even worse. I hope that the recent death of a Cy-Fair isd student in Houston, Texas will bring a change, hopefully a tougher rule or law on bullying. Additionally, I am strongly calling parents and school authorities to work together on putting an end to bullying.
Neilsen 1 / 3  
"and don't care if they go to prison"

i would put and didn't care if they went to prison

good essay.
...self destructed self-destructive behaviors associated with being bullied.

...year were full of brightness and full of excitement, until my bus rider friends made my life miserable.

This is a great story! I'm sorry you went through all that. Another topic you can cover if you want to add new dimensions to the essay is cyberbullying. Big kids bully each other physically because of their physical superiority, and computer-savvy kids bully others online because of their superior skill with Internet technology.

The way to guard against bullying is to be more capable than them in your own way. I think that is the secret.

Your essay tells a great story, but I think you have so much wisdom about bullying that it is a shame not to write a little more reflection at the end.

:-)

Home / Undergraduate / "School bullying is a despicable act" - Texas a&m, issue of importance