School influenced change of my own interests; NYU TRANSFER

CherryPac18 10 / 29 1  
Please provide a statement (appr. 250-500 words) that addresses your reasons for transferring and the objectives you hope to achieve.

Upon arriving at Miami University in August 2012, it was not long before I realized that this school was just not the right fit for me. My reasons for wanting to transfer are mostly attributed to my own change of interests though the school is responsible for influencing my decision as well.

My high school career consisted of engineering courses as I was a part of my schools engineering program. The required courses that I had to take included Auto Cad, Cisco, and Computer Science; I was also given multiple paid and non-paid internships throughout my last two years. Even though I was sure I wanted to someday be a recording artist, when starting college I decided to continue my education in architecture and engineering. In my eyes, college and music could not be intertwined. If I wanted to be a musician I would have to focus primarily on that and college would be too much of a distraction; it would be too hard to balance the two. In this case, college would become my plan B. I would attend college and put my dreams on hold until I had a degree and presumably something to fall back on if my music career did not kick off.

When college started and I started delving into my architecture and engineering courses, I realized I had made a huge mistake. Those two subjects were just not for me. I found myself bored; yearning for a change to music. At this school, a switch to music was logical as I was already a part of the Creative Arts department through architecture. But, the music programs at the school are only dedicated to students who hope for a career in instrumentation and vocalization; two subjects with which I have experience and though they are somewhat similar, they are entirely different from a major in recorded music.

But, then I found out about the Clive Davis Institute of Recorded Music at NYU. I realized that the institute was committed to developing young entrepreneurs by providing its students with courses that explore the history & criticism, artistic, business, and production aspects of the industry. These attributes mask by desires exactly. I was interested in finding a program that could allow me to expand my knowledge in recorded music; primarily in Hip Hop. I have dedicated at least five years of my life so far to the study of Hip Hop and Dancehall/Reggae music, lyrics, and culture. I have educated myself on the histories while writing lyrics of my own and analyzing the genres place in popular culture. Today, I have completely changed the focus of my college courses and shifted more towards my interest in music.

Aside from my own change of interests, I decided to transfer from Miami University because of its location and lack of diversity. Miami is located in an area where trying to pursue a career in music is near impossible. It's rural and secluded setting makes it difficult for me to properly expose myself to the music industry. Alongside that, Miami has a one sided community. Not only does the school lack cultural diversity, but all of the students seem to be preoccupied with one thing; partying. The students here do not share the same intellectual curiosity as I do.
fsolano94 16 / 30  
two subjects with which I have experience and though they are somewhat similar, they are entirely different from a major in recorded music.
// two subjects I have experience in and know are similar but are entirely different from a major in recorded music.

Home / Undergraduate / School influenced change of my own interests; NYU TRANSFER