'scientific concepts and my curiosities' - JHU essays

lifeisgoing1 3 / 7  
1. Johns Hopkins offers 50 majors across the schools of Arts and Sciences and Engineering. On this application, we ask you to identify one or two that you might like to pursue here. Why did you choose the way you did? If you are undecided, why didn't you choose? (If any past courses or academic experiences influenced your decision, you may include them in your essay.)

Science was, and still is, my favorite subject in school; I love learning about different scientific concepts and applying them to real world experiences. I have attended different academies and symposiums to explore more about the scientific aspect of the world. However, my mother's diagnosis of cancer is what confirmed my determination to major in biomedical engineering.

My mother was diagnosed with cancer when I was thirteen: endometrial cancer, stage 3. For nearly a year, my mother was hospitalized getting surgery and chemotherapy and radiation treatments. I still remember how I massaged my mother's legs, in which she felt pain after chemotherapy, for eight hours whilst doing my homework, woke up constantly to aid her, and got up early in the morning to take an hour and half ride on a public bus to school. After staying with my mom at the hospital, taking care of her for more than a year, and still visiting doctors with her up to this time, I came to truly appreciate how the medical technology had advanced, and I have craved to advance such technology myself ever since. I strongly desire to major in biomedical engineering and provide hopes to those who are in need of medical assistance.

Tell us something about yourself or your interests that we wouldn't learn by looking at the rest of your application materials. (While you should still pay attention to sentence structure and grammar, your response is meant as a way for us to get to know you, rather than a formal essay.)

I like science. My high school requires hands-on labs in all science classes, and actually conducting science experiments and proving the concepts given from the textbooks have prompt my interest in all fields of science. As my interest grew, so did my efforts to learn and comprehend science. I believe my aspiration to gain more knowledge and satisfy my curiosity is one of the best qualities I possess.

I start off my day by taking a shower. I like applying scientific concepts I learned to the real world, and therefore, about water's molecular structure and why water attracts the shower curtain every time I take a shower. I enjoy talking about how the natural behaviors of all things could be explained with scientific facts and concepts.

After school, on my way home with my father, I like to look at the electric poles and think about the electric currents or think about how the car engines convert chemical energy into heat energy, which is transformed into kinetic energy, which moves the vehicles. When I get home, after I finish my homework and lay on my bed, I think about how my phone alarm would detect my movement and wake me up when I am lightly asleep.

I like science and I like learning about it. And I am determined to pursue what I like; therefore, I want to answer my curiosities at the Johns Hopkins University and make contributions to the society that has developed me with the knowledge gained from such studious university.

Could you please tell me if there are any grammatical mistakes
or if the essay is off topic / boring?
I honestly wrote so many essays in short amount of time ... and can't clearly determine what they're like ):
Thank you so much!

I'd love to read your essay if you leave a message (:
Good luck!
weepdog 1 / 2  
really liked it, very creative!
OP lifeisgoing1 3 / 7  
I think it makes me seem so ... uncreative and unprofessional..
but my friends have been telling me they're just fine, and I didn't really trust them, hehe
Thanks for the comment, weepdog!
silentspring 12 / 58  
I really enjoying reading it. There are lots of potential in your essays. Try to incorporate some stories.

Home / Undergraduate / 'scientific concepts and my curiosities' - JHU essays