UC #2 - From Script to Screen / Back When I Was A Movie Star

Yoyomo 1 / 2  
The prompt is "Tell us about a personal quality, talent, accomplishment, contribution or
Experience that is important to you. What about this quality or accomplishment makes you proud and how does it relate to the person you are?"

Please help guys, im so stressed out right now :'(

All we had was an idea about a woman that got her son taken away from her, that's it. Then over a year and a half later we found ourselves in a movie theater signing autographs and taking pictures with people that we didn't even know. Our film "The Fight" meant more to my friend I than just some project, it was our dream that we fought to make real. Yes, the actual turnout was above and beyond what we had imagined, but the journey of getting there wasn't easy at all.

The journey began when my friend and I just began talking about making the film. It went from just talking about it to actually sitting down and writing a script with a plot line. We wanted our film to have a purpose, and that purpose came from a scripture in the bible. Thus, with a purpose, and with an idea, we worked out a 20 page script that we thought told an amazing story. But to finally get that script finished, there must have been at least a hundred little arguments about what we thought about the other's idea. Each argument, though, is what I believe brought the real heart to the movie. We both felt very passionate about the film, and I understood that I had to listen to his ideas and try and see his point of view to make the script the best it could be.

Now this is where things got a little tricky. We had purchased all the equipment we needed and we felt like we were completely ready to begin filming, but once we finally got a couple dozen scenes done, we began to doubt if we were even good enough to make something worth watching. We watched the bits of the film that we already made, and after every view, we seemed to find something new that we didn't like about it. I remember my friend just sitting back and asking me if we should even finish making it. I thought about all the people that had already been involved in making it and I realized that if every single one of them believed in us, then we should believe in ourselves as well. We got the motivation to keep going, but that doesn't mean the troubles stopped there.

I chose to be the main actor in the film since I've always been interested in acting, but I wasn't ready for the fight scenes that we planned for. We brought a buddy over that was a mixed martial arts student and he began showing me all these moves that I thought were downright impossible for me to do. He saw me struggling with some of the moves, so he asked me if I wanted him to make them a bit easier for me. The moment I heard him say that I felt something inside me that forced me to get up and try harder to get it right. Letting him make the moves easier would be giving up, and the thought of giving up made me feel like I was pathetic. Sure enough I just kept doing the jumps and kicks over and over until they felt easy.

I know I am not the same person I was before we started making this film. I've grown into a man that understands the meaning of cooperation, believing in dreams, and that giving up just isn't an option. These are lessons that I know I will carry with me into the rest of my life.
shirley127 3 / 17 1  
Overall, I think you should focus on less of the story and more about how it has shaped you.
keroro 5 / 14 4  
"All we had was an idea about a woman that got her son taken away from her., that's it."
"...meant more to my friend and I than..."

"Yes, the actual turnout was above and beyond what we had imagined, but the journey of getting there wasn't easy at all."

Maybe just "The turnout was above and beyond what we had imagined, and the journey of getting there wasn't easy at all."

"We both felt very passionate about the film, and I understood that I had to listen to my friend's his ideas..."

^^Just some grammar things and suggestions.

I also agree with shirley, I feel there isn't a lot of self-reflection. The transition from you talking about your struggle learning the martial arts moves to the end of your essay is a bit choppy as well.

Home / Undergraduate / UC #2 - From Script to Screen / Back When I Was A Movie Star