"What would you do if you see a beggar?"l Stanford intellectual vitality essay

paul2752 2 / 5  
*Please note I am a non-native speaker. It would be nice to fix the grammar without altering the major content.(also it's over than 250 words, so...)

Ask me questions if you have some regarding my essay!

A lot of people have called me 'an intellectual', but they don't call a science dictionary an intellectual. To me, the science is all about asking 'why'. More one appropriately asks "why", better one sees through the core of the matter. It has strengthened passion in learning, in my case, science. That was what I got from Sunday Talkie..

It's been so long time since I had one, but I and my father always had Sunday Talkie on every Sunday. Mostly he taught me lots about human itself, morality, and wisdom, and threw a question in form of Socratic talk(he didn't call it so, but I learnt later about it). He always tested me to see if I got what he said. One conversation I briefly remember was:

"What would you do if you see a beggar?"
Me: Uh...leave some money???
"What if you see him everyday? Will you still help him? Aren't you stealing his chance to be independent?"
Me: ...Ah, I can leave in halfway house.
"Why?"
ME:...I guess it's better to rehabilitate and go back to the society than to stay in the street.
Two hours of this activity was, with honesty, boring, but this infinite "Why-answer" routine has got stuck in my head. Having a natural love for science, my brain directed "why' to science. At some point, knowing a simple piece of fact like 'alcohol+organic acid=water and ester' wasn't fun. After learning it's because of complex electron transfers between catalyst acid, alcohol, and organic acid, I felt satisfied. Since then, I didn't stop at learning a short piece of knowledge from book, but enjoyed why certain phenomena happen. I remember making several elementary or junior high school science teachers taken back or even annoyed with too detailed questions, but I selfishly didn't care. Several years from then, it's been my habit to read complicated books and old encyclopedia to learn something that's not explained in the high school text book. Some people call me a 'genius', but I don't think what I do is a genius thing. I think it is a natural way to know 'why'.

...I see the essay is kinda scatterd. Really great advice needed to make it more smooth!(and some erasing)
ktang96 2 / 1  
A lot of people have called me 'an intellectual', but they don't call a science dictionary an intellectual. (What do you mean by that? It doesn't really make sense) To me, the science is all about asking 'why'. More one appropriately asks "why", better one sees through the core of the matter. It has strengthened passion in learning, in my case, science. That was what I got from Sunday Talkie (What is a Sunday Talkie?)..

It's been so long time since I had one (Had what? Describe), but I and my father always had Sunday Talkie on every Sunday. (Put "a talk every sunday" or "Regular sunday talks") Mostly he taught me lots about human itself, morality, and wisdom, and through a question in form of Socratic talk(he didn't call it so, but I learned later about it) (rephrase that). He always tested me to see if I got what he said. One conversation I briefly remember was:

Me: Uh...leave some money???
"Why?"
Two hours of this activity was, with honesty, boring, but this infinite "Why-answer" routine has got stuck in my head. Having a natural love for science, my brain directed "why' to science. At some point, knowing a simple piece of fact like 'alcohol+organic acid=water and ester' wasn't fun. After learning it's because of complex electron transfers between catalyst acid, alcohol, and organic acid, I felt satisfied. Since then, I didn't stop at learning a short piece of knowledge from book, but enjoyed why certain phenomena happen. I remember making several elementary or junior high school science teachers taken back or even annoyed with too detailed questions, but I selfishly didn't care. Several years from then, it's been my habit to read complicated books and old encyclopedia to learn something that's not explained in the high school text book. Some people call me a 'genius', but I don't think what I do is a genius thing. I think it is a natural way to know 'why'. Overall, this essay doesn't really make sense to me. I understood some parts of it. Try not to write the dialogues as if you're writing a play or an act. And, how is this conversation between you and your father related to "science"? What did you learn from the experience between you and your father? Try to answer the prompt question. You basically just tried to explain an experience you had.

Home / Undergraduate / "What would you do if you see a beggar?"l Stanford intellectual vitality essay