"I did not see the point in art" - Common App

msaenz 2 / 4  
Describe a character in fiction, a historical figure, or a creative
work (as in art, music, science, etc.) that has had an influence on
you, and explain that influence.

I need a title and revisions please! THANKS!!

I used to be one of those people who did not see the point in art. Art was just plain, boring, and served no purpose in my life. I still do not know why I took AP Art History, but I am glad I decided to take it because it ended all that ignorance. I learned how each piece of art had a story to tell and how each painting reflects the ideals of the painter and his time period. When I learned this, the gates of a whole new world opened to me. I learned how to dissect a piece of art from its colors to its shadow and its perspective, but although I learned how to do all this I did not have a favorite piece of art or one that made an impact on my life. Two weeks into the course I found that favorite piece of art--Andrew Wyeth's Cristina's World. It made such a positive influence in my life that I never thought art could make. This painting does not contain innovative colors Da Vinci's Mona Lisa has nor does it have the extreme detail Jan Van Eyck's Arnofini Wedding has; instead, it is rather plain and simple, yet it is one of the most inspiring paintings I have ever seen because I can relate to it. The young lady depicted is Anna Christina Olson, who after constant persistence from Wyeth agreed to be painted. Andrew Wyeth thought she was the most beautiful girl he had ever seen. Her only condition to be painted was that Wyeth could not paint her face. The reason was because she was embarrassed of her condition. She had polio and was paralyzed from her waist down. But what makes this painting so inspiring to me was that she decided not to sit on a wheelchair. She had to drag herself everywhere she went and that is exactly why Wyeth thought she was so beautiful. He painted her lying down on the grass of her farm. That's a cute story but how does it relate to my life? I was diagnosed with a rare disease called Muscular Dystrophy when I was seven years old. This disease targets my muscles and weakens them as time goes on. The doctors told my parents that I would have to sit on a wheelchair by the time I reached ten years old, and I might die before I reached my 14th birthday. I decided to define those doctors. I set a personal goal not to sit on a wheelchair until it was absolutely necessary. Today, I am seventeen years old. I still don't own a wheelchair, and when I go to my doctor appointments they don't know how I am doing it. So why is Cristina's World so impactful in my life? Because it gives me an inspiration to keep on going and it tells me not to stop. If Anna Christina Olson did it, I believe I can do it.
articuno 1 / 16  
"instead, while rather plain and simple, yet it is one of the most inspiring paintings I have ever seen because I can relate to it. "

^ That's another little edit I missed. And no problem.

Home / Undergraduate / "I did not see the point in art" - Common App