I see trends and I see fads; Questbridge Common App

yebin96 1 / -  
-1rst choice- Evaluate a significant experience, achievement, risk you have taken, or ethical dilemma you have faced and its impact on you.

-2nd choice-Tell us about an experience you have had or a concept you have learned about that intellectually excites you. Why does it interest you, and what does this tell us about you?

which one wouldmy essay fall under and any constructive criticism?

answer: The America I live in today boasts of great diversity and is known for its influence in the international world market. Everywhere I go I see merchandise from China, Korea, Mexico, Thailand, and other nations across the oceans. I see trends and I see fads. Yesterday, people were scrambling to snatch Horchata, a popular Mexican drink, off the shelf and today I see people rushing to get the latest shipment of BB cream foundation from Korea. Some products gain ground in America while others fail to pique the interest of consumers. But why do some products become a best seller while others become only an ephemeral pigment of the fast paced market? The concept of international marketing is an abstract but exciting field that I'd like to delve deeper into once I'm in and out of college.

I always find it fascinating to see a product from overseas venture into the American market and develop a strong presence. And vice versa, my friends overseas seem to know what the latest trends are in America such as music, clothing, and electronics. How could two different countries, from two different sections of the world, with two different distinct cultures interweave itself into each other so seamlessly? With this question in mind, I came to know the importance of international marketing.

In international marketing, it's not just drawing a picture and pasting it on a random pole on the street corner, hoping it would intrigue and persuade people into buying a product. An international marketer bears the responsibility of product placing, advertising, pricing, and distribution. A foreign production company depends on these experts to help them take an idea and make it into a product. From there, they would then proceed to plan product placement and distribution, which would then lead to the final step of advertising and selling.

International marketing is like a race. You strategize, you carry out the said strategies and you compete against others in a race where very few come out successful. The competitive nature of marketing excites me and brings out the competitive nature in me as well. The idea of seeing my advertised product do well in the market is exhilarating as is the satisfaction brought upon the fact that I've met the expectations of millions of consumers around the world.

I believe that, with proper and strategic advertising, a product can expand and succeed in the international market and I feel that I have the qualities to become a first rate marketer with my creative mind and easily approachable personality. International marketing has always been my field of interest and I feel confident that this is the field of career I'd like to pursue in and out of college.
Didgeridoo - / 306 191  
Very well-written! I would say this essay better falls under the second prompt, because it's more of "a concept you have learned about that intellectually excites you" than an experience. Best of luck!
Guest /  
Hi. I'm also in the process of writing college essays and one thing that I was told was that I wrote a good paper but it wasn't a college essay because I didn't tell about myself. This is definitely a good paper. It explains why this topic excites you as the prompt asked, but maybe you should include more about yourself. What does this fascination with international marketing tell the college about you? I noticed that you talked about your competitive nature but is there a way you could possibly show that more in your essay. Do you participate in activities that show this that you could tie into the topic? There were a few spelling errors and I think you should avoid contractions in the paper even though its a less formal paper, but I'm sure you were going to proofread later anyway. Hope this helped:)

Home / Scholarship / I see trends and I see fads; Questbridge Common App