Why I seek a college education, what I expect from it, and why I chose Menlo college

crown2728 1 / 4  
Prompt: Essay: Please submit an essay of at least 250 words
addressing reasons for seeking a college education,
expectations of a college education, and reasons for
choosing to apply to Menlo College.

Math did not always come easy to me. In fact, simple addition and multiplication without paper or calculator used to be a problem. After several month of hard work I have improved my math skills drastically. A formula of X number of books raised to the power of the internet, plus several graph notebooks filled to the brim with scribblings, equals a solid understanding of college algebra.

The many forms and shapes of geometry always escaped my mind, until I finally stopped making excuses and enclosed them in a perimeter of understanding. The circumference of my reasons for seeking a college education are found by multiplying an honest desire to learn by my determination to succeed. I have learned how difficult it can be to find work without an education. I started looking for work before I completed my GED. I could not even apply to many jobs that interested me because they required a high school diploma or equivalent. After I completed my GED, I found a job as a rental sales agent. But I am not going to stop here. I wish to advance my career in business by going to college.

Just like you can prove that function g(x) is equivalent to the function f(x), I want to prove that I am equally able as a high school graduate. Home schooled kids have several advantages, but they also face many challenges. One of the biggest challenges for me was that it was hard to prove my level of education, especially when I needed to find a job. Another challenge that I faced was that many people questioned my social skills. By going to college and attaining my bachelors degree, not only do I pave my way for a better future, but I get the opportunity to prove myself and to rid myself of that prejudice.

If I write a formula for my well being, success, and happiness, Menlo college will be the coefficient to my success. And just like a formula, each term affects the outcome. For a passionate kitesurfer, and an aspiring business school graduate like myself, Menlo's location is ideal. Whether I will start a career or choose to go on to further education, the opportunities that Menlo college opens up for me are infinite.

I have learned a lot about mathematics, and I no longer fear numbers. Nonetheless, there is still a lot that I have to learn. Like I have overcome my fear of math, I am determined to overcome any speed bumps that life and college will throw in my path. I will beat the odds an become a college graduate!

If anyone has any suggestions, ideas, and etc., I'd appreciate it.
Mahalo (Thanks)
kaioulunar 2 / 10  
I loved your intro! :D And all the math puns are very well written in. I feel like to add to this, you could talk more about the challenges you face as a homeschooled kid, and do you have any advantages by being one? More about why Menlon is a good college for business, what specifically do they offer that attracts you? Specific examples always provide good insight. :3

If you could look at mine too, that would be nice.<3
EricJ - / 48  
I like it too. The wordplay is clever and memorable.

I could not even apply for some jobs.

I want to prove that I am as capable as any other high school graduate of success in college. Equally capable as is not good English.

Menlo College, cap College

Avid kitesurfer like me , not like myself.

Just as I have overcome my fear of math... Just as is better than like in that sentence.

I think I would leave out the part about beating the odds.

Most people who get in to college graduate. Odds of graduating are in your favor, even if you spend a lot of time kite surfing, chasing girls, and drinking beer. The school that lets you in wants you to graduate, so you do yourself no good portraying your graduating as a bet with bad odds.

Good luck,

Eric Anderson
OP crown2728 1 / 4  
Thanks for the suggestions Kaioulunar, they are very helpful.

Thank you Eric, I did not know how to phrase some of those sentences correctly. I am a girl though, so I will not be chasing too many girls ;)
EricJ - / 48  
Chasing boys, then. ;-)

Home / Undergraduate / Why I seek a college education, what I expect from it, and why I chose Menlo college