'Sensitivity, responsibility and drive' - Boston University Supplement

sohaibsiddiqui 3 / 18  
While there is no typical BU student, our students have been described as smart, independent, innovative, and curious. What will you bring to this community?

Please be harsh if needed.

So many years have passed, there have been so many changes in appearance, knowledge and character. Most of them have been positive. However my ethics and values remain unchanged. With these ethics and values along with distinguish qualities one can soar high and high towards success.

Sensitivity, responsibility and drive. These are my best friends which have been there with me forever. They have given me support when I needed and helped give and receive respect among my peers.

Shiv Khera said " winners don't do different things, they do things
differently".

I believe my friendship has now reached to a unique distinctive level.

I was in grade 5 when my father eagerly signed me up for summer school Basketball. It was a completely new sport to me. I never followed it, nor played it. Still, I used to find it a very enthusiastic sport. Especially during the game, the court would be jam packed and the game would be full of emotions.

I adored the action-packed moments, joys and spirit. They were phenomenal.

The summer school began and the training was primarily dull. I was reluctant to continue however the hard work and commitment of our trainers towards us really inspired me and gave me confidence that everything will go just fine.

Their dedication motivated me to work harder and do better than the other boys. I would practice a lot. When I would go home, I used to play with high- school players and learn more about the game. I was in love with Basketball. The summer camp went really well.

My trainers were delighted with me put me in the elementary school team. This further motivated and basketball became more than just a passion.

In sophomore year I was admitted to The Starex International School. I have fond memories of the school. I had the best time of my life yet there.

Soon, I was in the new basketball team. The squad was amazing, coach was great. I was surprised to learn that the school had never won the Inter-School Tournament. Time passed and I realized that the the team was not playing as one. Many were not helping each other.

I wanted to help. I was part of the school now. I had to show responsibility towards the team, the coach and most importantly the school.

I started working very hard, I sacrificed my chances and let others finish it. I knew that it could harm my game and I may end up changing my style. That was not my worry, my main concern was to get things right for the team.

My coach saw my effort and made me the captain. My teammates soon started working together. We won the tournament the next year.

I was not the best player in the team. I just played the responsible part.

In my Junior year, I became the head boy of the school. Another challenge and I was up for it. I like challenges and love performing in them. I had a terrific time during this year. It was my time to do something bigger for the students in the school. It was time to be a leader and perform so well and become an example for those around me. School was my family. It was my job to take care of it.

I was there to listen to student complains. I made sure that logistic approaches were apprehended and taken care off.

Also, during that year our school admitted a large number of Korean students. They were the only international students in out school at that very time. They were new to the school and were finding it difficult to mix in.

They used to hangout among themselves. Not many Indian students were also trying to mix up.

It was abhorrent that the school was being divided into two. I felt the Korean students shy, and so were the Indians.

I organized a talent show where I made sure most of the participants were the Koreans. They have some great talent. I thought it was a great opportunity for everyone to get to know them.

The show was awesome. It turned out be a huge hit. Within a month everyone starting getting together. The school became one.

I still feel so proud of that moment. It was my sensitivity towards the school and community that made me think and take a decision my self for the benefit of the community.

I have grown and nourished my attributes even further. Given the opportunity to study in Boston University I want to continue my doings for the betterment of the community.
jordannerd - / 1  
Okay I really loved it, it shows the real you, it shows your personality, sacrificing for others, "not the best player in the team">humble, it shows your leadership skills, and that you're a caring person, but if you changed "School was my family. It was my job to take care of it." To "school was my family. It was my responsibility to take care of it." It would sounds better, but otherwise it was really good.
OP sohaibsiddiqui 3 / 18  
I have noted your points. Thanks again!
jfrancishutch 2 / 7  
We can really see "you" in this. Great job!
Daybreak 3 / 32  
These are my best friends which have been there with me forever.

Perhaps 'there for me' or 'next to me' would work better.
OP sohaibsiddiqui 3 / 18  
Thanks a lot guys. Really appreciate it.
laalinibhogadi 1 / 7  
The substance is super and quite practical with live examples and quotes that I really appreciate.however a small grammatic correction. "With these ethics and values along with distinguishing qualities one can soar high and high towards success.

Home / Undergraduate / 'Sensitivity, responsibility and drive' - Boston University Supplement