"Service appeals most to me." FSU Essay

carlyissocool 1 / -  
Prompt:
Your essay should be no longer than 500 words.
Florida State University is more than just a world-class academic institution preparing you for a future career. We are a caring community of well-rounded individuals who embrace leadership, learning, service, and global awareness. With this in mind, which of these characteristics appeal most to you and why?

My Essay:
A few years ago, I had the opportunity to take part in a five day service project with my church youth group. We travelled to Tallahassee with the World Changers ministry and were assigned an elderly woman named Ms. Nell. We spent the next five days fixing up her house by repainting it, planting a garden, and repaving her driveway. Though they were fairly simple tasks, she was incredibly grateful and always thanked us for everything we did for her. She repeatedly told us how much she appreciated what we did. Our work was not that of professionals, but she insisted that our work was pure perfection. I had done many other service projects with my youth group before, but this one stands out from the rest of them. To this day, I have not met someone as genuinely grateful as Ms. Nell. Though I only knew her for five days, she affected my life dramatically. Her gratefulness made me realize that service is one of the most rewarding things a person can experience. Never had I felt so important to someone than I did during that project. It was truly a life changing experience that showed me how easy it is to make an impact in a community. After that project, I was always eager to sign up for service project my youth group took part in. These experiences are what make service such an appealing characteristic of FSU. I want to be a part of the successful community of student at FSU who value the importance of service and making an impact in the community as much as I do.

Any thoughts/comments/criticism is appreciated!
beccalevesque - / 45  
After that project, I was always eager to sign up for the service projects my youth group took part in.

I want to be a part of the successful community of students at FSU who value the importance of service and making an impact in the community as much as I do.

This is really good. You gave an example of your service experience and explained wonderfully how it impacted your life.

Home / Undergraduate / "Service appeals most to me." FSU Essay