"service is a part of its mission" - Pepperdine essay advice/help

Laubach 5 / 7  
Please offer any advice, suggestions, opinions you have. It'll be much appreciated!

Prompt:Pepperdine University is a Christian university committed to the highest standards of academic excellence and Christian values, where students are strengthened for lives of purpose, service, and leadership. How are you prepared to contribute to Pepperdine's mission and community of faith, learning, and service?

-----

My two teaching partners and I were wrapping up the English class. My students laughed as we played a game to review the day's English lesson. I remembered planning the exact lesson months before, at home, in California. It was the first time any of us had been on a mission trip and we were amazed at the success of our first day of teaching English to German youth. Almost a year before, I made the decision to go on this trip. Now that it was finally there I had a sense of accomplishment and joy that I had not anticipated.

Bad Kreuznach, Germany was the town where we would be serving. To go on the trip meant sacrificing time, a few weeks away from loved ones, and long days of preparation. My motivation was faith: Faith that my time in Germany would be a blessing to the people I was with, faith that God would use me to make a difference in the lives of the German students, and faith that all of my sacrifices would be rewarded. By taking this leap of faith I found my greatest satisfaction. It is my goal to live a faith-driven life and I believe that the Pepperdine community is the perfect place to do so.

Our first objective was to teach conversational English to the students. Most of them knew some English but had no experience conversing in the language. I have always enjoyed school and the prospect of teaching was exciting to me. Education plays an important role in my life. I went on this trip, in part, because I wanted to experience the side of education that I normally would not. By teaching, I hoped to provide students with a life skill. While a lot of the teaching was done in a classroom setting, the most valuable and enjoyable time spent with the students was outside of the classrooms. The everyday conversations that I had with the students served as great times for them to learn and also as a great experience for me. I admire the enthusiasm of the students. Their willingness to learn and the effort they put into their learning is something I admire and try to reflect in my own life.

The eagerness of the students to learn and the happiness that learning brought to them was a source of joy for me. Realizing that my service had an effect upon the students gave me the drive to pursue a life of service. I would not consider a university if service was not a part of its mission. I want to be part of a community that has a service-oriented mindset and Pepperdine can provide that for me.
nabid777 4 / 9  
Overall, this essay successfully answers what is asked for by the Pepperdine Prompt. If there were any specific activities you did while teaching the German children, or if you got to know some of them on a personal basis incorporate them into it
Almost a year before earlier, I had made the decision to go on this trip.

The everyday conversations that I had with the students served as great times opportunities for them to learn and also as a great experience for me. I admire the enthusiasm of the students. Their willingness to learn and the effort they put into their learning is are attributes I admire and (already said this) try to reflect in my own life.

The eagerness of the students to learn and the happiness that learning brought to them was a source were sources of joy for me.

:-)

Home / Undergraduate / "service is a part of its mission" - Pepperdine essay advice/help