Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

'I will not settle for C's or D's again' -University of California Personal Statement

isabelramos33 1 / -  
This is my rough draft. Any comment/suggestions welcome! Thanks
Prompt: Tell us about a personal quality, talent, accomplishment, contribution or experience that is important to you. What about this quality or accomplishment makes you proud and how does it relate to the person you are?

I sunk to my lowest level during the second semester of my sophomore year. I received two D's, in Chemistry and Geometry. School was so rigid that I was discouraged, and when the last week of school came around I was helpless and careless. "Whatever happens, happens", I would say to reassure myself. I constantly stopped myself from thinking about making up for it. I registered for summer school only to discover that I couldn't make up both classes in one summer session. All at once everything started to hit me, and for the first time I couldn't distract myself. My mother's disappointment was unbearable. A hard working mother of three ï who just wanted good grades and perseverance - didn't have time to check up on me and mostly didn't think it was necessary. After all, I had never failed her, in the past years I had always maintained an above average GPA, and school had always been my first priority. These two D's were a shock to her.

I was to complete the second semester of Geometry online in two weeks, and then start summer school in mid July to complete Chemistry. To complete Geometry in two weeks I had to go to a learning center from 8:00 to 12:30 daily. I completed Geometry with an A, but it was more arduous than I had expected. As all my friends were enjoying their summer, I was stuck completing math problems, in utter disappointment. I had my mother's disappointment and mine as well because I couldn't believe I let it go that far. A student that was always on top of her grades let herself slip and fall into a bottomless abyss. I decided to take the easy way out and not think about it. The "A" I received didn't console me; I had a lot to make up for. Chemistry brought me headaches, and didn't make sense to me. "If I didn't understand the first time, what makes me think that the second time around I am going to get it", I told myself. My mother and I agreed to hire a tutor after every day of class. From 8 to12: 30 pm, I had Chemistry, and from 1 to 3pm I had tutoring. With an overloaded schedule, I worked harder then before realizing that I was not going to pass this class was by dwelling on what had happened. Instead of being frustrated on my previous actions, it was more affective if I used this to get to my goal -- pass both classes over the summer. Chemistry obviously not my expertise, and I struggled not to let myself get behind. My final grade was a C ï only one letter grade up than the D I had previously. I was content, and I worked hard to pass this class, it was my weakness, and I proved to myself I could do it.

I am not always going to understand everything in life, but although I don't comprehend, it doesn't give me the excuse to give up. With a few weeks of summer remaining, I spent most of it thinking. I congratulated myself-because I made it. I passed two classes and it is an unexplainable feeling. My mother recognized the hard work I put into facing this obstacle and overcoming it, and although there was no changing the past, she was satisfied. I am proud of myself for moving forward and keeping myself motivated, when disappointment was running through my veins.

This was a turning point for my junior year, I knew that I had to stay focused and I had to make up for my mistakes. The two D's would always be visible on my transcript, but I had to find a way to show that not only did I overcome what I had thought was impossible but I have raised my standards and I am now on a path towards success. I wont settle for C's or D's again, I now know I could do better after this summer's experience, a characteristic that I am proud of.

This past experience has made me an ambitious person. I can now set goals for myself and exceed them, without letting any obstacle hold me back. Through the dissatisfaction deep down within me there was another side of myself that I had yet to rediscover, which is who I am today, a perseverant and hard working individual.

Home / Undergraduate / 'I will not settle for C's or D's again' -University of California Personal Statement