"Dr. Seuss's impcact" - COMMON APP- Someone who has made an impact on your life.

khan2013 1 / 4  
Hi! This is just a rough copy of what is going to be my college application essay. I'm not sure if I'm on the right track, so any help is appreciated! I personally feel I'm talking more about the life of my influential person, rather than the impact he has had on me. Please, feel free to criticize. Also, length wise, my essay is over 800 words. I'm not sure if that's good...let me know. Thank you!

A pallid colored door at the end of the hallway leads to her bedroom. A large "do not enter" sign is plastered with tape, a few centimeters shy of falling apart; clearly, company is not welcome. A bed, yet to be made, is positioned in the center of a slippery, wooden floor that is accompanied by garments and papers trying to find their way back home. An armoire to the right and a closet to the left complete the four corners of her walls. There is nothing extraordinary about her vivid partition or crème curtains, but near the exit is a chocolate colored bookshelf that cannot be missed. Hidden behind a stream of beads there is a room like no other- a rather loud space that seeks attention. The entry to this concealed territory is just two stairs away, where the bookshelf, which sits alone, invites her to its fanciful imagination. Organized alphabetically, the first and second shelf contain chapter books, novels, and educational videos covered in a thin layer of dust, lacking her interest; the second row from the bottom is what catches her eye. Organized not by name, but by color, is what makes this ledge unique. A pop of pink here and a burst of green there attract her to the whimsical creatures and characters created by Dr. Seuss. She picks her favorite Oh, the Places You'll Go!, opens it to page eleven, and in an inspired tone she sings, "So be sure when you step, Step with care and great tact. And remember that life's A Great Balancing Act. And will you succeed? Yes! You will, indeed! (98 and ΕΎ percent guaranteed). Kid, you'll move mountains!"

Theodore Seuss Geisel, commonly known as Dr. Seuss, was born to make a difference in the world. Living in the early 1900's, his family settled down in the quiet suburbs of Springfield, Massachusetts, where his father managed a small brewery. Having no interest to continue the family business, he attended Dartmouth College where success followed his footsteps. Creating humorous illustrations and comic strips became a hobby for Dr. Seuss. His inspirational, yet entertaining cartoons allowed people to step away from reality and dive into an imagination of their own. But receiving recognition for his publications in magazines such as Jude, Life, and Vanity Fair wasn't enough- Dr. Seuss wanted to go big or go home.

Stimulated by the fervor of living life in the Golden Age and surviving an unexpected Great Depression, he wrote his very first book And to Think That I Saw it On Mulberry Street. He faced rejection over twenty seven times, but it wasn't anything that would deter the doc from his course. Despite humiliation, he continued to generate several political cartoons and prolonged his career of writing children's books. After many downfalls, he developed a colorful storybook The Cat in the Hat, which was when his creativity was given appraisal. The Cat in the Hat was his first accomplishment, followed by Green Eggs and Ham and One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish. His capricious mind allowed young readers to look at life through a different perspective. Through subtle messages, he promoted education by encouraging booklovers to aim high and reach for the stars. Through comical quotes, he motivated kids to show off their personalities, to stand out in the crowd. Most of all, he wanted his literary works to bring happiness into people's lives. He wanted to make others smile. He wanted contentment and glee. His thoughts were "If reality can't make it happen, then maybe my imagination can."

Dr. Seuss started making an impact in young children's lives long before he made a difference in mine. Not just his books, but his life in perspective has allowed me to become the person I am today. Ever since I started collecting his books and color coding them on my shelf, I was influenced to become a better human being. I was inspired to make a difference in the world. Dr. Seuss taught me that my education is important in shaping my future- who I am today will affect who I will be tomorrow. He showed me that rejection is okay- sometimes you have to fail in order to succeed; a little self-confidence can go a long way. He illustrated that a bit of creativity doesn't hurt. Opening my mind to new ideas will take me to great heights.

Whenever I need to get away from reality or ease my mind, I know that within the four corners of my walls behind a stream of picaresque beads, sits a chocolate colored bookshelf, and the second shelf from the bottom is where the book Oh the Places You'll Go! is located. If I turn to page eleven, I know that Dr. Seuss will say, "You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go..."
13Oseik 1 / 2  
I agree with you, you are writing a bit to much about him. Focus on some of the things you find interesting about Dr. Suess and SHOW how you emulate him. You want to show how Dr. Seuss made you into the person you are today. So write about how he influences the way you think, dress, see the world, etc.
OP khan2013 1 / 4  
Thank you for your time!
Doom 13 / 37 2  
Remember that the new word limit is strictly 500. Its just recently been imposed. You are going to have to work very hard to cut your essay down. Take what you find most personal to you in your essay and remove the rest.
molluscs 1 / 3  
Hmm...
Wonderful essay.
But I personally think that you could make it better by saying a bit more about yourself.
Since your essay focuses a bit more about Dr. Seuss.
For example, I think you can just edit the whole background of Dr. Seuss.
Hope you make some changes to yours and get admitted to where ever you're applying to.
cheers.
admission2012 - / 477 90  
Hello,

As everyone else has stated, your writing is superb. This story was so well written that I cannot believe that you are just applying to college. However, since my favorite thing to do is give harsh criticism, I also have to tell you about the negatives of this essay. As the previous posters have mentioned, this essay focuses tooo much on the doc. To personalize it and cut it down to the new word limit, focus on his struggles and the fact that he never gave up and talk about how that also fosters the same tenacity in you. If you have ever tried something more than one, use that as an example to solidify to the reader how you were positively encouraged by him. Keep some of the color bits that you describe in the beginning of your essay. It makes your essay fun to read and certainly unique. Great Job! - AAO
OP khan2013 1 / 4  
Akshay- Thanks for heads up! I didn't realize it was just a page length now! I will make sure to take a look at your essay too. Thank you for your time!

Yeonjae- I completely agree. I also feel like talking about the doc is taking away my personal statement and morals of the story. I will make sure to take a look at your essay too! Thank you for your time and wishes! The best of luck to you as well :)

Kevin- I really do appreciate the criticism- It helps me understand what I am doing wrong, and the guidance will surely be to my benefit! Your suggestions put into effect will help me create a better essay, so thank you for your time!

Thanks everyone!

Home / Undergraduate / "Dr. Seuss's impcact" - COMMON APP- Someone who has made an impact on your life.