Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

Ever since I was seven years old, I always watched the Bangladesh news and observed as my TV display

LunarEclipse 3 / 5 3  
Please tell us something about yourself,your experiences, or activities that you believe would reflect positively on your ability to succeed at Penn State.

Ever since I was seven years old, I always watched the Bangladesh news together with my family. I observed as my TV displayed young children, some my age, some even younger, sitting on unpaved and filthy roads watching their parents' health enervate right before their eyes, unable to prevent the unfortunate situation they were in. However, in the winter of 2011, I no longer was a spectator watching the atrophy of an individual's health on a television screen; instead I too became a child watching the deterioration of a parent's well-being right before my eyes, feeling helpless and unable to do anything to prevent it. I watched my father fall victim to colon cancer and for the first time require assistance to walk to the bathroom and to rise from bed. I watched as the skin on the palms of his hands and the soles of his feet peeled off, as the vigor in his physique declined, and as the sparkle in his eyes diminished. Nonetheless, my family and I, unlike the penurious families in Bangladesh, had a source of hope-the healthcare services in New Jersey. Even though I was too young at the time to comprehend everything that had betide my father, I was still able to confide in hematologists, cardiologists, and gastroenterologists who stood by my Dad's side to fight the nefarious adversary that wished to arrogate his life.

Although my father's battle with cancer was a very difficult time for my family and I, this situation had me contemplate over the feelings of the children I always saw on that television screen. My experience had me question what it truly is like for those families and kids, who have every right to live a halcyon and tranquil life, to have to endure such painful hardships without any form of support. I realized I became accustomed to the services provided in the US that I never imagined what it could be like for individuals in other countries. I ignorantly conjectured that most people around the world were given the same opportunities as me, when in fact, they had to fight tooth and nail to survive. I was lucky enough to see my father make it through his battle unlike most other families and kids who are not able to receive that chance.

As a result of my experience, I no longer saw my father's plight as a hindrance in my path, but as an inspiration for what I, along with my twin sister, can do for the impoverished people of Bangladesh. Although two different motivating factors inspired each of us (my sister was inspired by a trip to Bangladesh), we, however, share one common goal: to help the underprivileged who experience the loss of a parent as a common occurrence in their lives due to the lack of healthcare accessibility in their country. My sister and I hope to combat this situation after establishing our practices in America by building and operating a clinic in Bangladesh for those who cannot afford healthcare and acting as health advocates who promote healthier lifestyles.

After watching my father deteriorate before my eyes, I pushed myself to go beyond my capabilities. This determination is what drove me to challenge myself with rigorous academic courses and partake in several extracurricular activities throughout my four years in high school. Now, as a college student, I will continue to use this force to challenge myself with the rigorous academic courses and ground-breaking research opportunities. Through the challenges and opportunities I will encounter during my four years at a university, I am assured I will grow and mature as an individual who is capable of becoming a physician and establishing several clinics in disadvantaged countries.

Home / Undergraduate / Ever since I was seven years old, I always watched the Bangladesh news and observed as my TV display