"Is that shadow mine?" UC #2...

Tsunamela 2 / 2  
Idk if its good or not, plz take a look at it. Thanks :)

I run. It is a simple action which has changed my life forever. Running was never in my blood nor was the classification of a runner something I suddenly wanted to fit into. I simply ran. As I walked towards the starting line, I glanced at the shadow before me. I wondered what it stood for and who it truly reflected.

From a sick child running from her mother with cough syrup in hands to a girl competing in cross-country races, I've become quite familiar with running. Growing up with older siblings was a challenge; I'd constantly emulate them, but as they pursued different interests, I felt stuck in their shadow. Suddenly, that shadow which has followed me everywhere throughout my life reflected somebody else. Yet I discovered something that had separated me from everybody else- running. So I ran. I ran at track meets, against boys at my school, and even against the neighborhood dogs. The more I ran, the more it developed into a talent and ultimately a passion. It was then that I grew a genuine love for the sport.

"You can't beat those girls, they're faster than you", my mother told me before a race. Tears rolled down my face as I heard that remark come out of the one person who was supposed to believe in me even when I didn't believe in myself. Instances like these had led me to question my own ability. For so long I tried finding a reason behind many of my defeats. But at the end of the day I remember the importance of the things I do possess, and use it to the best of my ability. Running has introduced me to the reality that sometimes you need to work twice as hard to be as good as somebody else, and work three times as hard to beat them, in any aspect of life. Now, I am always willing to seize that opportunity. There are people in this world who do not have as much as we do; many are paralyzed and live a life without the ability to take even a single step. I remember those people who are less-fortunate than I am and it has only fueled my passion to continue my pursuit.

As I run the streets, trails, and hills, I have come to realize the beauty this world has to offer. It has given me a chance to reflect on life and love living in the world we often take for granted. This has taught me to appreciate people and the life we are given. Rather than sinking into the shadows of others, I have gained the confidence to undertake new opportunities in life and give the best I can offer to the world through my talent. I have become a leader and have gained the understanding to lead my team as their captain. Running has taught me self-discipline and humility because I understand being in challenging situations. Now I encourage others to love everything they do no matter the outcome. And most importantly I've learned that the desire and effort for something beats talent any day.

As I waited at the starting line and heard the sound of the gun, I saw that same shadow beneath me spring forward. The shadow reflected experiences of the past, moments of the present, and hopes for the future. I was happy to know that this shadow was my own.
Rich Monte 2 / 94 2  
What is the prompt or thesis statement??
Brilliant essay, I found no real errors. I am happy to be able to help a little, here:

"You can't beat those girls, they're faster than you," my mother told me before a race.

For so long, I tried finding the reasons behind many of my defeats.

Nice job!!!

Home / Undergraduate / "Is that shadow mine?" UC #2...