Share a perspective you bring or experiences you've had, Duke Short Answer

CollegeMe 7 / 19 3  
Duke University seeks a talented, engaged student body that embodies the wide range of human experience; we believe that the diversity of our students makes our community stronger. If you'd like to share a perspective you bring or experiences you've had to help us understand you better-perhaps related to a community you belong to, your sexual orientation or gender identity, or your family or cultural background-we encourage you to do so. Real people are reading your application, and we want to do our best to understand and appreciate the real people applying to Duke. (250 word limit)

In Nigeria, all people refer to older women as auntie and older men as uncle. Nigerians do not see unknown people as strangers, we see them as family members who have not yet been introduced to us and demonstrate this by calling others what we would call our own family members and treating them like we would treat or own family. Because I have grown up calling all Nigerians auntie and uncle, I have developed the mentality that every person I meet is part of my extended family. I do not have to be blood related or even know a person well before there is a degree kinship between us.

The Nigerian perspective that we are all a part of a large extended family is what I hope to bring to Duke. This way of thinking should not be limited to the Nigerian community. By treating my classmates the way I would treat my own family, I hope to spread the idea that we do not have to be blood related to act like a family. This perspective would foster a community of brothers and sisters all proud to be a part of the Duke family.
Olu, I do not see anything wrong with the topic that you chose for your response. In fact, it is quite interesting to read and really lets the reviewers have a chance to get to know not only your background, but your culture as a Nigerian as well. The reference to the way that you were raised to treat everyone like a family member is something that will resonate with the welcoming American culture. It is something that the two cultures actually share. Americans as very trusting and it is seen in the way that they welcome strangers into their homes and help them feel comfortable as newcomers to America.

However, I believe that rather than simply stating that your culture refers to older women as auntie and older men as uncle, you should instead show the reviewer an instance when you actually welcome a stranger into your family fold. Tell it as a sort of anecdote meant to emphasize the culture that you are referring to. That should help give the response a more personal slant.
ratoberry 2 / 9 1  
"treating them like we would treat orour own family. "

"...before there is a degree of kinship between us."
The degree of kinship doesn't make sense to me, maybe reword it.

"Because I have grown up calling all Nigerians auntie and uncleWith this upbringing, I have developed the mentality that every person I meet is part of my extended family. "

I cut that out because you already state the reason why you have a certain type of mentality already in the first sentence so you don't need to restate the whole thing one again.

i agree to what said vangiespen above. it would be more interesting if you showed an instance when you welcomed a stranger
OP CollegeMe 7 / 19 3  
Thanks for your input
There was a time my cousin was visiting from Nigeria and called an American lady working at a store auntie because she did not know that it was only a Nigerian thing and was acting really friendly and the other lady was weirded about by her calling her auntie. Could I talk about that?
Yes Olu, you can go ahead and revise the essay using the story of your cousin with the lady in the store. Just remember to be complete when you tell the story by indicating the two different reactions that you and your cousin received from the people who heard the term being used on the stranger lady :-)

By painting an accurate description of how the events unfolded and what the reactions were, the reviewer will be able to get a better sense of how this cultural trait of Nigerians offers a different take on the human experience. Most specially, the incident will help drive home your point of being able to help your classmates and friends feel like your extended family members and the benefits that such type of treatment brings to the community.

Go ahead and write the revised essay. I look forward to reading it and helping you to polish your work :-) I'll be here to help when you are ready to work on it.
OP CollegeMe 7 / 19 3  
Thanks vangiespen, I have added your suggested revisions
I can only imagine what the sales associate at Dillards was thinking when my seven year old cousin called her auntie. The two of them had only known each other for a few minutes, and the chances of the white sales associate being related to my dark skinned cousin were slim. However, my cousin my had just come from Nigeria, where all older women are referred to as auntie and all older men referred to as uncle, and she did not know that Americans did not refer to each other in this way . It was clear that the sales associate felt uncomfortable when she was called auntie and more uncomfortable when my cousin and I gave her a hug and a handshake. She was not used to being treated that way. To us, however, this was normal behavior because Nigerians do not see unknown people as strangers, we see them as family members who have not yet been introduced to us and demonstrate this through what we call each other and how we treat each other. This mentality that I have gained through my upbringing is what I hope to bring to Duke. By treating my classmates the way I would treat my own family, I hope to spread the idea that we do not have to be blood related to act like a family. If this perspective was shared by all Duke students, it would add to the feeling of community at Duke.
Olu, your statement response is now ready for use. As reviewer, I would be impressed by the way that you not only shared your perspective with me about how we should treat each other in a better way, but that you also managed to introduce your culture and tradition to me in a way that helps me understand the practical and moral meaning of the action. This more than just about showing respect for the older person, this is all about respecting one another and changing our mindsets for the better not only of Duke, but society in general.

The only thing you have to fix in the essay at this point is your paragraphing. The response seems quite tight on the page. The compressed look makes the essay a bit difficult on the eyes to process. Address the problem by placing a line break after the following sentence:

To us, however, this was normal behavior because Nigerians do not see unknown people as strangers ... and how we treat each other."

Separate the discussion of how this will be your contribution to Duke so that the reviewer's attention will be drawn to this memorable explanation of your perspective and experience as it applies to your potential admission to Duke :-) After you do that, you can already submit the response with your other documents.
OP CollegeMe 7 / 19 3  
Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Home / Undergraduate / Share a perspective you bring or experiences you've had, Duke Short Answer