'I share the same character with NU' - Transfer essay-Northwestern supplement

carolinecong 1 / 1  
Hi I'm an international transfer student. Below is my supplemental essay for Northwestern University. Please read it and give me some suggestions. Thanks so much!!!

Northwestern Statement
What are the unique qualities of Northwestern - and of the specific undergraduate school to which you are applying - that make you want to attend the University? In what ways do you hope to take advantage of the qualities you have identified?

Like individuals, each university has its unique characteristics and specialties in academic and campus life, attracting students with matching qualities to enroll. As for Northwestern University, my dream school, three of its sparkling advantages, which are perfectly consistent with my education and career goals, strongly attract me to pursue admission at this renowned institution.

To begin with, the Weinberg College of Art and Science (WCAS)'s emphasis on liberal art education is exactly what I wish to attain from a university education. An innovative and comprehensive education is beneficial both for my career path and life experience. Since I anticipate using my major in economics to enter the venture capital industry after graduation, it becomes essential for me to understand both industries and the financial market by taking courses of social and natural sciences. Besides, as a Chinese saying goes, "Knowledge is no burden", learning broadly about various fields will definitely nudge me into a well-rounded person. As a member of my current school's honor program, I am eager to absorb knowledge and endless opportunities I can encounter in every aspect. With NU's six distribution requirements and its comprehensive academic superiority with research emphasis, I can have access to cutting-edge knowledge in many fields and lay a solid foundation for my future development.

Secondly, the unique courses such as Professional Linkage Seminars provided by WCAS set up a platform for students to learn about and plan for their future careers. Programs like this expand students' horizons beyond the ivory tower of university and guide them to practice theories in reality. As for me, planning to enter the venture capital industry and financial market means that my future job will frequently involve solving business cases. Attending professional seminars can provide me with opportunities to discuss and solve social issues with peers, which will improve my analytical abilities under the guidance of experts with working experience. Additionally, NU's internship programs, especially the Chicago Field Studies (CFS), catch my eyes. The program can indulge my interests by allowing me to practice using acquired knowledge to solve real world problems, intern at famous institutions and at the same time to explore the city of Chicago, the international business and cultural center.

Lastly, attending different universities also means enjoying totally different collegiate experiences. I especially appreciate NU's focus on both educating the mind and the body, providing various arts and sports activities on campus. As the softball captain of my current university, I especially look forward to becoming a Wildcat athlete. I hope to enrich my college memory with exciting matches and training time beside the gorgeous Lake Michigan.

As a student passionate to acquire a liberal art education and practice economics knowledge in real world scenarios, a devoted athlete to softball, a girl moved from Northeastern China to Shanghai for university education and once traveled alone to the USA for cultural diversification experiences, I find myself share the same character with NU. With NU's dynamic education and abundant opportunities for growth while allowing me to pursue my existing enthusiasm at the same time, I am eager to join its intellectual frontier and make a difference, no matter how big or small.
transfer2016 1 / 2  
I find myself share the same character with NU you can reword that.
You may want to avoid using firstly and counting your points.
What specifically about the liberal education appeals to you?
What are you going to contribute to NU?
I hope that helps.

Home / Undergraduate / 'I share the same character with NU' - Transfer essay-Northwestern supplement