Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

'to shed off a couple of pounds' - Apply Texas Topic A Transfer U.S. - SOP

canuck19 1 / -  
Posted wrong prompt on original.
Here is the intended one.

I'm currently applying as a transfer at UT and A&M. This is my Topic A Essay.

We live in an age where technology facilitates our everyday activities and yet, we still live on with little time on our hands. By running around and completing endless errands, we often forget to put our body under the good kind of stress. Let's face it. In today's world, it is becoming increasingly difficult to shed off a couple of pounds as we see big billboards advertising the next double bacon cheeseburger. However, it takes true courage and motivation to repel the temptations of a sedentary lifestyle.

Entering high school as a short, hundred-eighty pound freshmen was often unforgiving. Derogatory remarks over my weight were made at least every week which lit up a flame in me. My best response was just complete silence since I disliked unnecessary conflict. I would be lying if I said it did not bother me. I would come home longing for a chiseled body, as I looked out the car window to witness the local soccer teams practice in the park nearby. That's when I experienced an awakening within me.

That next morning, I demanded to be taken at the nearest fitness center. The fall term was nearing its end and, I decided to take life by its horns and undergo a transformation for the spring. My mother gave me a look with bewilderment but, deep inside I knew she was happy to see me motivated. I made it my goal to lose a considerable amount of weight and reserve a spot the school soccer team. The fitness instructors were quite shocked to see a young fourteen year-old have an interest in fitness, so they welcomed me with grace as they handed me their complementary towels.

Walking into the gym was truly an experience I was foreign to. The steps of runners on treadmills echoed across along with the sounds of heavy weights clanking as they were lifted into the air. My body was unaware of the transformation it would embark on. I attended the gym for the next couple of months, religiously. The first few weeks were met with excruciating pain radiating through my muscles, telling me to give up. It took a staggering amount of my own willpower to resist the temptation of surrender, so in order to facilitate that, I immersed myself in the pain. From then on, workouts seemed like an exhilarating challenge with a gratifying outcome instead of just a chore.

The work-ethic I adopted also reflected on my social life and academics. I had a thirst for knowledge like never before, which manifested itself in a streak of A's and some B's on test scores. With grades soaring, I also experienced a rise in my confidence. One could say, I was experiencing a paradigm shift within myself. As soon was club sign ups were posted, I would run up and see which ones peaked my interest. Through club servitude, I engaged myself in many social interactions where bright ideas, ranging from house projects to robotics, were exchanged.

By mid-spring, I lost an astonishing weight of forty-five pounds which served as an indication to try out for the soccer team. I strapped by cleats on and let my athleticism do the talking. I caught the eyes of the head coach as I sprinted past the defenders towards the goal and the goalkeeper himself. Time slowed down after I smacked the ball towards the goal and boom...the ball was caught in the net. Seeing my name listed on the roster was one of the most fulfilling moments I've ever experienced. To this day, I apply the same methods to my everyday life and it's helped become a happier and healthier person.

Home / Undergraduate / 'to shed off a couple of pounds' - Apply Texas Topic A Transfer U.S. - SOP