'Side eye glances. Concerned looks'; Why Engineering - Columbia University

shayshay3194 5 / 9  
Prompt: For applicants to The Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science, please tell us what attracts you specifically to the study of engineering.

Any comments would be appreciated, thanks!

Side eye glances. Concerned looks. Talks with family and friends "just to make sure this is really what I want to do." This is what I've been dealing with ever since I decided to follow in my dad's footsteps and major in engineering. My dad has always enthusiastically encouraged all of his children to pursue careers in engineering. Because of this, people assume I'm just a meek child who can't shake off her father's request. In reality, I'm far from brainwashed. My dad's influence on my career path has nothing to do with force or demands. I feel endlessly grateful to him for exposing me to the secret world of engineering.

I consider it a secret, because I think most people are put off by some aspects of engineering. Yes, it does involve a great deal of math and science, but it's so much more than that. Engineers are multifaceted; they play the roles of artists, thinkers, and explorers. They are creators, problem-solvers, and investigators. Engineering changes you. The rigorous mental training alters the way an individual thinks and turns him or her into a living paradox - logical, yet creative; systematic, but capable of handling the unexpected. That's what I love about engineering. The unique perspective I will gain will help me not only face my own problems, but also the problems of the world. Knowing all of that, who wouldn't want to be an engineer?
jadore_lamode68 6 / 37  
I think it starts off great...but looses a bit of gusto towards the end.Try to make it more personal...idk just my opinion. Maybe add an example of a problem that was solved through engineering if not limited by characters.

Last sentence could be stronger.

Overall great essay.

All the best.

Home / Undergraduate / 'Side eye glances. Concerned looks'; Why Engineering - Columbia University