"silence remains, inescapably, a form of speech" ; UCHICAGO SILENCE ESSAY

henajane 3 / 5  
Susan Sontag, AB'51, wrote that "silence remains, inescapably, a form of speech." Write about an issue or a situation when you remained silent, and explain how silence may speak in ways that you did or did not intend. The Aesthetics of Silence, 1967.

Three Months

Awkward moments to gestures of reverence, "silence remains, inescapably, a form of speech."
Two years ago, I had an argument with my mother that would last us three months of the silent treatment. I guess the lines, "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times," best fits this episode of my life. It was the best of times because I realized that our conversations sparked every argument we had and I welcomed the long lost peacefulness. It was the worst of times well, because she was my sole provider. And things got stingy when she stopped asking what I wanted for dinner. Personally, this moment of silence was a speech of rebellion. Without communication, I was hindering our mother-daughter relationship. It was an act of rebellion because I was internally screaming for independence and refused her wonted act of kindness. However this "talk" was cheap. What good would it do screaming internally? I was senseless because I realized that acts of rebellion led to consequences, and in my case, a severe one.

In duration of those three months, I chose to miss out on two particular events: my mother's birthday and mine. What labored from this experience was extreme guilt. For sixteen years, we had generously shared our most intimate moments and I almost gave that up in the course of three months. In fact, I practically lost a few pounds by living as an outsider. It was my mother's house and I became a mere stranger, living off of scraps of food I chose to eat by refusing what she offered. I could have been kicked out, but fortunately I was saved by the grace of my mother. One moment, I met my mother's gaze. I immediately felt the pang of guilt. I knew I had taken everything for granted and I was burning my own bridge to someone I needed for the rest of my life. Finally I threw away my pride and humbled myself.

Silence may solve a problem, but unfortunately it did not mine. Silence is used only temporary, like the use of a Band-Aid. However, I used it to attempt to stop a bleeding wound. What I actually needed was communication, and for three months of having lost its significance, I almost bled to death. Internally.
Range Rover 3 / 6 2  
I would suggest revising your last paragraph. You could do a better job of putting the essay and the process together. Overall, I really enjoyed your inspiration and as a whole was a thought out paper. Good luck!

Help with mine?
kabal 9 / 61  
This is original.you started strong
You could finish strong by expressing the way your mother felt when you humbled yourself, since she also was silent.

three months of the silent treatment why add the treatment
best fits fit
It was the worst of times because she
And things got stingy when she stopped asking what I wanted for dinner rephrase
However , "talk" is cheap
. In fact, I practically lost a few pounds by living as an outsider maybe you can try: not to mention i lost 3 pound living as an outsider

great idea . good luck
Tell me what you think about my own silence essay.
yuzec95 3 / 25  
well, because

Avoid using filler words like "well." Just say things straightforwardly.
thkid 3 / 7 1  
Great piece of work! I enjoyed it.
I agree with the previous replies though, I think you could form a better conclusion.
OP henajane 3 / 5  
Okay i added some things and made corrections :) Feel free to add more

Three Months

Awkward moments to gestures of reverence, "silence remains, inescapably, a form of speech." It can either be appreciated or disdained, but both carry significant intentions that last an impression on ourselves for good. Through my experiences, I realized that no matter how it leaves its impressions, the amount of time it takes is little, or in my case, three months.

Two years ago, I had an argument with my mother that would last us three months of the silent treatment. I guess the lines, "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times," best fit this episode of my life. It was the best of times because I realized that our conversations sparked every argument we had and I welcomed the long lost peacefulness. It was the worst of times because she was my sole provider, and things got stingy when she stopped asking what I wanted for dinner. Personally, this moment of silence was a speech of rebellion. Without communication, I was hindering our mother-daughter relationship. It was an act of rebellion because I was internally screaming for independence and refusing her wonted act of kindness. However this "talk" was cheap. What good would it do screaming internally? I was senseless because I realized that acts of rebellion led to consequences, and in my case, a severe one.

In duration of those three months, I chose to miss out on two particular events: my mother's birthday and mine. What labored from this experience was extreme guilt. For sixteen years, we had generously shared our most intimate moments and I almost gave that up in the course of three months, not to mention I lost a few pounds by living as an outsider. It was my mother's house and I became a mere stranger, living off of scraps of food I chose to eat by refusing what she offered. I could have been kicked out, but fortunately I was saved by my mother's grace. I knew I had taken everything for granted and I was burning my own bridge to someone I needed for the rest of my life. I recall having met my mother's gaze and immediately feeling the pang of guilt. How could I use silence as a weapon that not only hurt my mother, but myself as well?

By remaining silent, my intentions spoke in ways not comprehended by my actions. Silence may solve a problem, but unfortunately it did not solve mine. Silence is used only temporary, like the use of a Band-Aid. However, I used it to stop a bleeding laceration of my heart. What I actually needed was communication, and for three months of having lost its significance, I almost bled to death. I realized that communication was the bridge to a healthy relationship and I hold on to it to remind me of its significance.
mayfl0wer 6 / 48  
Very nice!

Personal and truthful.

Keep me intrigued.

Help me out?

Home / Undergraduate / "silence remains, inescapably, a form of speech" ; UCHICAGO SILENCE ESSAY