"To simulate life after schooling" - Davidson Supplemental Essay on the Honor Code

mpleleaf04 1 / 3  
The prompt is Davidson is an academically and socially engaged community bound by an Honor Code and committed tothoughtful discourse and an abiding sense of inclusiveness. Reflecting on your own background and educationalexperience, in what ways is Davidson a good match and how might you enrich this community?

The Honor Code can be excerpted simply:Each Davidson student is honor bound to refrain
from stealing, lying about college business, and cheating on academic work... Cheating includes plagiarism... Each Davidson student is honor bound to report immediately all violations of the Honor Code of which the student has first-hand knowledge; failure to do so shall be a violation of the Honor Code.

Here is my essay, your comments, advice, and edits would be greatly appreciated.

Ever since I first started taking graded assessments there has always been someone watching over me. Throughout my schooling experiences, there has always been an assumption that students are going to do everything in their power to cheat or get an upper hand on their peers. Having witnessed students cheating first hand, I understand why many of my teachers have this mentality that cheating is inevitable and that all students are capable of completing fraudulent work. Although I understand these concerns, I also believe that this watchdog mentality I have encountered since middle school does not prepare students for the world outside of homework, papers, and tests. I believe that the honor code at Davidson creates an environment which simulates life after schooling.

In many ways cheating is a societal problem just like many other crimes such as stealing. Cheating is like most crimes, if you cheat once, chances are you are going to cheat again. Just like any other offense, you probably will not get caught the first time, but eventually, you will be caught in the act. I am a firm believer that things work out the way they are supposed to and the honor code at Davidson also allows for problems like academic fraud to work themselves out. The honor code is not directly going to stop anyone from cheating; however, there is no reason to cheat in an academic environment like Davidson's where there is a mutual trust between the school and students. I feel that if I were to cheat, I would not only be hurting myself, but also insulting my professors for the trust they invested in me.

It is in this way that Davidson provides a unique opportunity for me. The honor code allows for a learning environment that rewards students who are hard working and honest. As a Davidson student, I will add to the Davidson community by putting forth effort in everything I am involved with, from the tennis court to the classroom, while maintaining the integrity the Davidson community stands for. The honor code is not just something I will follow for four years and then forget about the moment I graduate. It is something I will carry with me for the rest of my life and incorporate in to life after college. The extension of the honor code in to life after Davidson is what creates a feeling of enduring inclusiveness. The Davidson honor code in my eyes is not only about social and academic integrity while at the school, but also the veracity of the life you live after Davidson.

THANKS
islek 3 / 5  
mpleleaf04
Ever since I first started taking graded assessments, there has always been someone watching over me. Throughout my schooling experiences, there has always been an assumptions (I was wondering who the assumers were?) that students are going to do everything in their power to cheat or get an upper hand on their peers. Having witnessed students cheating first hand, I understand why many of my teachers have this mentality that cheating is inevitable and that all students are capable of completing fraudulent work. (delete capable of) Although I understand these concerns, I also (delete also) believe that this watchdog mentality that I have encountered since middle school, does not prepare students for the world outside of homework, papers, and tests. I believe that the honor code at Davidson creates an environment which simulates life after schooling.

In many ways, cheating is a societal problem just like many other crimes such as stealing.( you said that in the next sentence. Cheating is like most crimes: if you cheat once, chances are you are going to cheat again. Just like any other offense, you probably will not get caught the first time, but eventually, you will be caught in the act.(confusing... maybe needs some re-wording?I am a firm believer(believe firmly)that things work out the way they are supposed to and the honor code at Davidson also allows for problems like academic fraud to work themselves out.(reword/ cut into two sentences) The honor code is not directly going to stop anyone from cheating, however, there is no reason to cheat in an academic environment like Davidson's where there is a mutual trust between the school and students. I feel that if I were to cheat, I would not only be hurting myself, but also insulting my professors for the trust they invested in me.

It is in this way that Davidson provides a unique opportunity for me. The honor code allows for a learning environment that rewards students who are hard working and honest. As a Davidson student, I will add to the Davidson community by putting forth effort in everything I am involved with, from the tennis court to the classroom, while maintaining the integrity the Davidson community stands for. ( I like this sentence) The honor code is not just something I will follow for four years and then forget about the moment I graduate, it is something I will carry with me for the rest of my life and incorporate in to life after college. The extension of the honor code in to life after Davidson is what creates a feeling of enduring inclusiveness. The Davidson honor code, in my eyes, is not only about social and academic integrity while at the school, but also the veracity of the life you live after Davidson.

Whew! I hope this helps:) I notice you kind of repeat yourself in this essay. Maybe you can reword some things to get you point across. Good luck on applications:)
Adrian396 1 / 4  
This is a very good essay full of both insight and personal examples

However, you might want to consider the following.

1. implement a wider variety in vocabulary. Instead of reusing the word "mentality" use another like "mindset" or "belief"

2. Consider rewriting this sentence
"In many ways cheating is a societal problem just like many other crimes such as stealing. Cheating is like most crimes, if you cheat once, chances are you are going to cheat again."

perhaps to something a bit less clunky.
"In many ways, cheating is a societal problem just like any other crime. Cheating, like most crimes is habitual in nature; if you cheat once, chances are that you are going to cheat again."

But a good essay overall.
OP mpleleaf04 1 / 3  
Thank you guys. Really helpful

Home / Undergraduate / "To simulate life after schooling" - Davidson Supplemental Essay on the Honor Code