Singapore business - UC #1: family/society and my dreams!

jjt 1 / 2  
Describe the world you come from - for example, your family, community or school - and tell us how your world has shaped your dreams and aspirations.

With a father who co-founded a global agriculture powerhouse, a mother who manages the human capital of one of Singapore's largest companies and a sister who started up her own web venture, my family means business. It is certainly no obligation - my other sister is a veterinarian - however, my interest in entrepreneurship, marketing and communications is probably in my DNA.

I grew up in Singapore, where the environment, especially at my high school, is extremely competitive and most students choose to pursue Medicine, Law or Engineering. At my high school, it was believed that if one did not excel at the A-levels, one's options were immediately limited. Hence, I constantly questioned my prospects for "success", as I did not seek the paths my peers were taking. Although my family always told me that there was a world of options outside of what I knew from school, I needed to see for myself. With my family's support, I decided to take a gap year after high school to do several internships and explore the possibilities.

For my first internship, I left home for New York City and worked at Roomorama.com, an online marketplace for short-term accommodations worldwide. During my three-month stint, I was responsible for contacting homeowners in various cities, convincing them to use the website. The exposure to international clients enhanced my communication and sales skills, as I had to overcome their objections and understand how business was done in different cultures. The time I spent in New York was a turning point in my life. Prior to that, I had not left home other than for family vacations. Living and working far away from home, outside of my comfort zone, undoubtedly helped to build my confidence and has made me more independent. Additionally, it gave me the opportunity, to get the first-hand experience in entrepreneurship and marketing that I yearned.

While working at Roomorama, I became fascinated by the process of how businesses build brands and market their products and services. I wanted to learn more from people who did this for companies everyday. Back in Singapore, I joined an interactive advertising agency, The Secret Little Agency. There, I produced video interviews that were used in a pitch to the client, The Straits Times, Singapore's national newspaper. We eventually won the pitch and I felt a great sense of pride that I had contributed to the creative process that would eventually be viewed by the entire country.

I want to communicate ideas to people - the work experience I have gained over the past few months have only convinced me of that aspiration. Whether it is advertising to consumers, cold calling prospects, or preparing a pitch for clients, I enjoy the process of seeing how people are affected and changed by effective communication. While I am unsure of what job I will get when I graduate, or where life will take me after that, I do want to be prepared for the challenges and opportunities it will toss my way. University will give me opportunities to develop and hone my communication skills through the classes I take and the people I meet, whilst providing me with the guidance that I will need to reach my full potential.
monkeymaze 7 / 15  
WOW!! This essay amazes me! The contents about your business career are superb. I am not sure about this, but maybe you can elaborate more on the Switzerland Wealth Program (how it shaped your dreams). But this essay is great overall!
OP jjt 1 / 2  
awesome. thank you for your feedback:)!!

to make it easy i cut it out and changed the essay to flow better and integrate my world with my dreams more! care to take a look and give another round of feedback? haha.
I almost suggested that you add a sentence to that short first paragraph, but then I noticed that your presentation has a lot of power this way... I like the whole essay, right up until the end. Here is a mistake at the end:

I want to communicate ideas to people; the work experiences I have gained over the past few months have only convinced me of that aspiration. ---added an s and a semi-colon (instead of a dash).

And... at the end instead of focusing on the uncertainty you have, focus on the goals you DO have. Set several goals... you can change them later. If you want to be impressive, choose multiple careers and set several goals.

:-)

Home / Undergraduate / Singapore business - UC #1: family/society and my dreams!