UC Prompt - "Skateboarding and Perseverance"

kmoses 2 / 5 2  
Tell us about a personal quality, talent, accomplishment, contribution or experience that is important to you. What about this quality or accomplishment makes you proud and how does it relate to the person you are?

As a young boy, I remember sitting on the grass and watching the older kids practice skateboarding at the park near my house. I thought it must be so freeing to glide across the pavement and leap through the air so effortlessly. One of the skateboarders must have noticed how fascinated I was because he came over to me and asked if I wanted to try. I nodded my head eagerly as he smiled and handed me the skateboard. I planted my feet firmly on the piece of wood, but my skinny legs were weak and clumsy, and I soon found myself on the ground. I was discouraged, but the boy helped me to my feet and said, "Don't worry, keep practicing and you'll get it."

I resolved not to give up. My parents bought me a skateboard for my birthday and I practiced in front of my house every day. After some days, my legs would be so exhausted that I could barely stand, but I wouldn't let that stop me. Slowly, my legs got stronger and I learned how to control the board. I began imitating the people who could flip the board under their feet and do tricks. Sometimes I would spend months learning a trick, trying it over and over again until I could do it. Like the first time I stepped on a skateboard, I fell down repeatedly, scraping and bruising my legs. But even when I got hurt badly, I stood myself back up and persevered.

I have carried this sense of dedication and perseverance with me throughout my life. With every obstacle that I face, no matter how daunting, I tell myself that I can overcome it. I have learned that the most worthwhile things in life are the things that I have worked hardest for. Now, instead of being discouraged when I fall, I look forward to the challenge that is ahead of me, knowing that it will make me a better person.
Dearcollege2013 2 / 7  
Hi, I like your essay and think skateboarding is a really good topic.

Just a few little tweaks about the first paragraph:

One of the skateboarders must have noticed how fascinated I was because he came over to me and asked me if I wanted to try. I nodded my head eagerly as he smiled and handed me the skateboard. I planted my feet firmly on the piece of wood, but my skinny legs were so weak and clumsy, andthat I soon found myself on the ground. I was discouraged, but the boy helped me to my feet and said, "Don't worry, keep practicing and you'll get it."

Hope this helps.
OP kmoses 2 / 5 2  
Great suggestions, Dearcollege2013. I will add them in. Thank you.

Home / Undergraduate / UC Prompt - "Skateboarding and Perseverance"