'SKYY DIVINGG' - NYU What intrigues me; What is it like to fly?

india7 1 / -  
What is it like to fly? What is like to be just free and falling? HEIGHTS-so up yet so close. So far yet so captivating. I might have been a bird in my last life.

But the question is To jump or Not to jump?
I looked beneath me. There was the edge of cliff, deep green water and sixty feet in between them, I was in Shivpuri, at a rafting camp. This was one of the additional excursions for cliff diving. I had been jumping out of my skin at the thought of it, I was so excited. I always wanted to do something daring, spontaneous and so breathtakingly adventurous.

We climbed the rocks and there were already a few people standing on the rock just beside the one we had to jump off from. There was a whole new level of energy up there. I couldn't help but join in and share the level of enthusiasm. I could not wait to take that final step up, on to the cliff and jump off. Why was the person who was at the edge of the cliff taking so much of time? You just had to go there and jump. It was as simple as that!

While climbing up that rocky path and slipping occasionally, all I could think about was what the river would like from such a height. But when I looked down there was only one word to describe it. SCARY! Oh no! Oh no! I couldn't do this. I was freaking out. I might be out of my mind to think that I could ever do this. I wanted to back out just like so many others in front of me did. What if I hurt myself? What if I hit my head? What if I stopped breathing in the middle of the jump. It was a crazy idea.

I took a step back and exhaled, realizing that I was holding my breath. I always wanted to do this. So why was I backing out now? What was the point of climbing up sixty feet, bruising myself against the rocks if I had to back off in the end? No, I would jump.

I covered the distance between the edge and the place I was standing. I took a deep breath and stepped forward...into empty space. And then I was falling, with such velocity that I could hear the wind in my ears. Was I scared? Heck yeah. Did I wet my pants? Well maybe. But the feeling of being weightless, thinking about nothing but everything and finally hitting the water and feeling the cold of it, was worth the bruises and every moment of nervousness and dilemma.

When I reflect upon it now, I feel that if I had just backed like so many people had done before me, it wouldn't have made much of a difference in my life. But the fact that I overcame the battle going on in my head about when to jump and to jump or not in the first place, made all the difference.

And all I could think of was, "I Came. I Saw, I Conquered"

Next on to do list? SKYY DIVINGG!
linmark 2 / 328 7  
Was the prompt "what intrigues you"?
If so, you need to start the essay with some intro as to why cliff-diving is intriguing to you. This can cover how you want to test your bravery, or you enjoy adrenaline sports etc. - give some idea of your going in motivation. Then you can recount your trepidation etc. But at the close, spend some words about what you learnt out of the experience...aside from overcoming your mental fear.
ljy9152 4 / 12 1  
I thought there was a word limit: 1500 characters MAX.
this is about 500 words, around 2000 characters including spaces.
this is supplement; as known as short essay, or personal statement.
It does not have to be long but it has to be concise and reflect what you mean.

Home / Undergraduate / 'SKYY DIVINGG' - NYU What intrigues me; What is it like to fly?