'Slap slap' / 'Steep mountain' - NYU Undergraduate Short Answer

JoannaM 2 / 6  
I actually wrote two different ones, I am not sure which one I want to go with yet! Please help me decide? Which one do you like better? The second one is very personal..putting this out on a website for others to read was very difficult for me..

Any content/grammar revisions are much appreciated!

What intrigues you? Tell us about one work of art, scientiï-c achievement, piece of literature, method of communication, or place in the world (a ï-lm, book,

performance, website, event, location, etc.), and explain its signiï-cance to you.
(max 1,500 characters including spaces)

Essay 1:

Slap, slap, slap. The binding of the book connected with the cold hard desk. I gingerly lifted my worn and tattered copy of the book from my desk and read the title: "Brave New World". I rolled my eyes and I scoffed at the clichĂŠ title thinking it was yet another mundane book that we were required to read for school. I was wrong. My concept of the future changed drastically as Aldous Huxley gave me a tour of his imaginary utopian world. When I think of the future, I think of graduating, going to college, getting married. But Huxley made me wonder if our society and consequently our life would be much different than what we predict and expect. I think of my grandparent's and parent's generation and think of how their visions of the future have been changed now that the new age of technology sprung upon them. It slightly frightens me to think of the future as anything other than what I foresee in my mind. But change is bound to happen. It creeps upon us without warning and can radically alter our lives in unexpected ways. It's the unknown of when and what that change is that places us out of our comfort zone.

Essay 2:

A massive hole located on the side of a steep mountain. That's where my father lived for most of his life. The entrance of the oblong oval cave was adorned with patches of withered grass. Holes that adorned the straw mat that covered the entrance acted as windows and a source of light. I used to think that such a house was only fit for primitive cavemen who had no knowledge of how to build anything more advanced to live in. But as I stood outside the metal bars that surrounded my father's childhood home and looked upon the grass and dirt yard that my father used to play in when he was younger, I found a whole new appreciation and understanding for life. I learned to appreciate the simple things in life such as having a hot meal for dinner and a warm bed to climb into every night. I no longer take for granted the educational opportunities that I am given that my father was not. But ultimately, as clichĂŠ as it may seem, I learned to keep on fighting for what you want in life no matter what situation you are put in.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my short answers!
OP JoannaM 2 / 6  
Ops actually essay 1 is my UVA supplement essay!

UVA - supplement essay topic

College of Arts & Sciences: What work of art, music, science, mathematics, or literature has surprised,
unsettled, or challenged you, and in what way? (250 words or half a page)

Please help me edit essay number 1 as well? Thank you!
shivamp1995 - / 2  
For essay two, you just state that the "hole" is where your father lived, you should say a significant place to you personally, it sounds like it's more of a significant place to your dad.
OP JoannaM 2 / 6  
This place is significant for me because this place symbolizes how far my dad has come in his journey to a better life, and that's why I am motivated to do that same in my life and not take things in life for granted.

It connects to how this place is significant for me in the second part of the essay...was that not clear enough? Should I add something else into it as well?

Home / Undergraduate / 'Slap slap' / 'Steep mountain' - NYU Undergraduate Short Answer