Small businesses are the engine of the economy; TRANSFER/CORNEL&UCHICAGO

kabal 9 / 61  
As a twelve-year old Jamaican and a XXX resident, I understood that small businesses are the engine of the economy. I worked at a party rental store and experienced how our business started out promising, only to go bankrupt. The driving factor was pollution. From the rat-infested trash left by the restaurant nearby to an inefficient waste disposal system to the carbon monoxide coming from the generator of the restaurant, the pollution drove away potential customers. I was fortunate to have had an experience of how a small businesses struggle with pollution. I wished I had done something, at least to save my job. That experience has allowed me to combine my environmental concerns with my desire to study economics.

Upon my immigrating to the United States two-years ago, I was fascinated by learning about the brilliant ideas of Plato or how Machiavelli's the price would have been loved by some corrupt leaders. I had no knowledge about western thought, but the philosophy of these great artists was inspiring. I felt attending XXX Community College would be a good foundation. My decision to attend XXX was based on its academic offerings and its proximity to my home. I went to XXX planning to get an associate's degree and then transfer after two years to earn a bachelor's degree. XXX has a great economic department and faculty that further broadened my knowledge of economics. Although XXX Community College gave me the foundation I wanted, I believe I need a school that will provide me with a great liberal art education that expands on the knowledge I have gained. With an environmental economics degree, I hope to contribute to the economic policies being implemented. For example, the debate on whether the president should approve the Keystone Oil Pipeline bill or not is a complex issue I find interesting. On the one hand, approving the pipeline would create jobs for the economy but at a huge environmental cost. We should ask ourselves if the economic profits outweigh the environmental cost and jobs lost in the process.

I am happy XXX provided me with a good learning environment and a support system to have achieved all I wanted. I still believe I have so much to learn, and I hope to achieve this by transferring. However, in my pursuit of a degree in environmental economics, I hope to expand my mind on the humanistic knowledge I have gained. To achieve my goals, I need the opportunity to explore and test various theories through different internship programs. I feel I still have so much to learn, and so much more to give. I hope, after earning a bachelor's degree and a master's degree in environmental economics, to develop policies that create jobs and protect our environment.
android21 10 / 56 20  
kabal
Wow simply amazing, your provide a cogent argument to why you want to transfer and that first paragraph is remarkable...I to applied to Cornell and I am doing economics and environmental major as well!!!WEIRD...YOU BETTER HURRY!!!!!!I TURNED MINE IN EARLIER..lol
As a twelve-year old Jamaican and a XXX resident, I understood that small businesses are the engine of the economy.

As a twelve year old Jamaican xxxx resident, I've understood that small businesses make up the engine of the economy.

I worked at a party rental store and experienced how our business started out promising, only to go bankrupt.

... the latter part makes it sound confusing :(
Were you guys able to save it from near bankruptcy ? I'm not clear about this :(

The driving factor was pollution. From the rat-infested trash left by the restaurant nearby to an inefficient waste disposal system to the carbon monoxide coming from the generator of the restaurant, the pollution drove away potential customers.

... This line is too long and that messes up your flow :(
Next time post your topic or the prompt :)
Good luck!

Home / Undergraduate / Small businesses are the engine of the economy; TRANSFER/CORNEL&UCHICAGO