Small class size/ excellent academics / networking/ future careers; WHY UCHICAGO?

abulkhair37 8 / 22  
University of Chicago's commitment to an interaction-based learning greatly fascinates me. With small class sizes and emphasis on the discussions between the students and the professors University of Chicago creates a free thinking atmosphere that truly lets its students express their passions. As a research institution the University of Chicago also provides its students with sufficient resources to explore their academic interests. Some of these resources include grand libraries containing 8.5 million books, opportunities to participate in research with fellow graduates and professors, and access to the national renowned laboratories of Argonne, and Fermilab as well as Medical Center of University of Chicago. University of Chicago also offers its students tools to pursue their education in foreign countries, as the institution has partnerships throughout the world, while also having full centers in Beijing and Paris.

Aside from excellent academics the University of Chicago also provides its students with close campus experience, and a foundation for future careers. University of Chicago prides itself on its closely knit student body which bonds in its residence halls. Judging from student reviews the bright student body present in the residence halls of UChicago is very co-operative and usually bonds by studying, and coping with the rigors of college together. As an avid fan of sports I find house traditions such as Graham and Henderson very appealing, and I also appreciate the friendly rivalry that is present in the intramural sports of UChicago. With its location in the megapolis of Chicago and social networks UChicago is one of the best institutions that prepares its students into real world. Living in a city such as Chicago will undoubtedly open up internship opportunities for the students of UChicago and thus let them explore the real world, and decide whether they are truly interested in their career choices.
sogoldman 6 / 21 2  
greatly fascinates me

Can a commitment be fascinating? Eh, this sounds immature and over-the-top.

With small class sizes and emphasis on the discussions between the students and the professors University of Chicago creates a free thinking atmosphere that truly lets its students express their passions.

With small, discussion-based classes, the University of Chicago creates a free-thinking atmosphere that allows its students to express their passions.
How do in-class discussions create an atmosphere in which students can express their passions? This is quite a leap, and you should connect these ideas more explicitly.

fellow graduates

Are you applying as a graduate student? I think you bean fellow UNDERgraduates

University of Chicago also offers its students tools to pursue their education in foreign countries, as the institution has partnerships throughout the world, while also having full centers in Beijing and Paris.

as the institution has partnerships throughout the world as well as full centers in Beijing and Paris.
This is great, but the admissions counselors at UChicago already know it. They do not want to read a summary of the school's website; they want to learn why the school's resources are meaningful to YOU and how you intend to take advantage of them.

Aside from excellent academics the University of Chicago also provides its students with close campus experience, and a foundation for future careers

Aside from having excellent academics, the University of Chicago also provides its students with a close campus experience and a foundation for future careers.
You needed parallel structure. What exactly is a close campus experience, and why do you want it?

As an avid fan of sports I find house traditions such as Graham and Henderson very appealing, and I also appreciate the friendly rivalry that is present in the intramural sports of UChicago.

GOOD! This is exactly what they want to read!

Living in a city such as Chicago will undoubtedly open up internship opportunities for the students of UChicago and thus let them explore the real world, and decide whether they are truly interested in their career choices.

You should change this to first person (living in Chicago will open up internship opportunities for me and thus let me explore the real world). It makes it seem like you can imagine yourself there, which is important.

Nice work! I can tell that you have done a lot of research, but you need to connect the information you gained from your research to yourself and your interests. Good luck!

(Could you please edit my Claremont McKenna essay? Thanks!)
sillybandz 6 / 20  
I suggest you focus on one specific thing that draws you to UChicago. This type of essay is going to be common among many students. It just lists over things that are common among most universities. I see you have done some research though, which is always good!
OP abulkhair37 8 / 22  
Thanks to everybody for their replies, I will help you with your essays as soon as i'm done with this.

Home / Undergraduate / Small class size/ excellent academics / networking/ future careers; WHY UCHICAGO?