'this small Gothic wonderland' - Duke supplement essay

joyci116 1 / 1  
Applying to Trinity College of Arts and Sciences, please discuss why you consider Duke a good match for you. Is there something in particular at Duke that attracts you? Please limit your response to one or two paragraph.

"College is a business. Education is the same all around." That was what I believed, but I was misinformed. College might be a business, but education is not the same all around. The quality of education at Duke is different from any other college that I have visited.

During my tour of Duke, I was captivated by the atmosphere that surrounded this small Gothic wonderland. Duke has more of a family atmosphere that I can relate to while also being suitable for my academic goals. While on my quest of an environment, that could provide me with the essential resources to nourish my education, I stumbled upon what appeared to be a group of close-knit students intensely engrossed in their conversations. To me, a group of close cronies is what is needed to ignite an intellectual conversation, but it takes a specific type of student culture to form a strong academic environment. I like Duke's affinity for a close community. It is an environment that I can relate to, because forming connections and networking with others is vital in order to build the foundations of success.
PrimeTime309 4 / 11  
"College is a business. Education is the same all around." (Try elaborating on this quote. I feel it just came from nowhere.) That was what I believed, but I was misinformed. College might be a business, but education is not the same " all around" . The quality of education at Duke is different from any other college that I have visited.

To me, Duke has more of a family atmosphere that I can relate to while also beingbut is also suitable for my academic goals.

While on my quest of an environment, that could provide me with the essential resources to nourish my education, I stumbled upon what appeared to be a group of close-knit students intensely engrossed in their conversations.

Other than these grammatical errors, great essay!
OP joyci116 1 / 1  
Thank you so much!

Home / Undergraduate / 'this small Gothic wonderland' - Duke supplement essay