Ever since I was small, I have been intrigued by discussions (SUA Essay Prompt)

fall2017 4 / 17  
In today's world, what is your purpose in seeking a liberal arts education? Among the many fine colleges and universities you might attend, how do you think SUA could help you fulfill that purpose?

Ever since I was small, I have been intrigued by discussions. Discussions about everything and anything, be it about a heavy political issue or a light-hearted topic. More than the sharing of ideas, varied opinions of people and the heat of the moment, I am fascinated by individuals who can hold it.

There is a peculiar aura about different parties involved in it; their analysis and dissection of the issue and the power to project their objective ideas has always inspired me.

Having studied in a traditional educational environment, I was mostly assigned to learn what was important for exams. Therefore, from a small age I hardly cultivated the habit of getting past the superficial view of any topic.I learnt about mathematical formulas, scientific findings and social issues inside classrooms, but I could never dig in deep and look at them through my own perspective.

I understand the essence of critical thinking and want to master it for myself. I read books pertaining to different issues and try to form my own opinion and think rationally about the topic. However, to further my quest to develop analytical skills and cater to my inquisitive nature, the most suited way I see is pursuing liberal arts education.

Having developed interest in international affairs, I aim to do something in that field. It is crucial for me to not only know the socio-cultural, political and economic scenario of various countries, but be able to understand it from a higher dimension. I believe liberal arts education will enable me to do just that. Along with gaining knowledge and expertise on my area of interest, it will allow me to put it in proper use for the good of the society.

We live in a world where the literacy rate is gradually rising but the problems are still stagnant. Today, gaining knowledge is not difficult due to readily available resources. The main challenge lies in implementing what we learn and liberal art guarantees that.

Therefore, I don't want to solely pile up knowledge but be able to take a meaningful essence out of it. I want to master the art of communicating my ideas well, execute what I learn and nurture my critical thinking skills. For this purpose, I see no better way than taking the liberal arts route.

After extensive research, reviews and conversations with current Soka Lions, I have a fair picture of what SUA has to offer. Along with its commitment to impart quality liberal arts education, it also aims to bring knowledge to life.

A wide range of unique learning programs such as Alternative Spring Break, Learning Cluster and Campus Recycling Program are evidence to SUA's pragmatic approach to teaching. By reading reports of the participants of Learning Cluster program, I've gained a precise concept of how SUA provides the opportunity to link classroom education with real life situations. Such practical exposure will give me the freedom to effectively imply what I learn. All of this will eventually cumulate into a mind that not only receives knowledge but knows how to perceive it as well.

Further, its emphasis on study abroad is another medium that complements my pursuit to study liberal arts. As already stated, I want to shape my thoughts and actions based on observation and thorough understanding. I believe Soka's rigorous study abroad requirement for graduation will help me push myself and learn problem solving skills.

The institution truly embodies its literal meaning of creating values. It not only adheres to provide quality education but also engages students to put their education into use. Therefore, my purpose for pursuing liberal arts education is to be capable of seeing beyond and above what is presented to me. I am assertive that Soka University of America's rigorous academics topped with hands-on experiences will help me achieve it.
AvR, it doesn't help your essay to use the following references: "Ever since I was small" and "from a small age". If you want the reviewer to believe what you are saying, you must instead refer to yourself as a "young" person or better yet, not make any reference to age at all. From experience, I know that reviewers tend to read a statement that addresses those terms with a sense of disbelief. It is one thing to have that interest in your teenage or high school years, it is another thing to make the reviewer believe that you already had a liberal mindset even before you know what being a liberal meant. That is something that you gain an understanding of over your years as a young adult. Not as a "small child".

When you speak of how the university can help you improve your liberal mindset, do not make reference to information that you gained through research, talking to the graduates of SUA, or information available on their website. That makes your connection to the university mechanical instead of personal in nature. That is information that everyone applying to the university could freely refer to and thus, make your essay just one of the many applications that say the same thing to the reviewer.

How sure are you that the university truly embodies its values? Have you visited the campus and experienced their community or educational process? Don't make assumptions that cannot be supported by first hand information from you. Rather than simply rattling off the programs they offer their students, create a student life or learning plan for yourself based upon the programs and classes that they offer. The prompt asks " how do you think SUA could help you fulfill that purpose?" So think along those lines when trying to explain how your liberal arts education can be helped, developed, and cultivated at SUA. Show the reviewer how the university can help you through activities you will participate in and classes you will take with professors that you are interested in having discussions with. Create a personal connection between you, the university mission, values, and objectives, and your desire for a liberal arts education. The values, mission, and objectives can be found on their website and you can just develop a more personal presentation of that instead of discussing information you gained from the graduates and other research.

Basically, the first half of the essay clearly establishes your requirements for wanting to have a liberal arts education. What is lacking, is the focus on how the university can help you achieve that. Applying my suggested adjustments would be a step in the right direction in terms of better responding to the prompt and focusing on the important discussions that you should be presenting for the consideration of the reviewer.
OP fall2017 4 / 17  
Thank you. I'll pay heed to your suggestions and make improvements.

Home / Undergraduate / Ever since I was small, I have been intrigued by discussions (SUA Essay Prompt)