I'am from a very small and poor town in Peru; Registered Nursing Program

giulliana90 1 / -  
Hello the applicant essay must address the following questions:
why do you want to become a registered nurse?
what do you consider to be your single most important accomplishment in life?
what qualities do you possess that would make you a good registered nurse?
im having trouble deciding if what i wrote is too much information? or if its appropriate. someone please help!

I am from a very small and poor town in Peru named Ventanilla. Growing up in Ventanilla with my aunt Flor made me appreciate things a lot different than most people and at a very young age too. The town i grew up in was very limited to a lot of things people take for granted elsewhere. The roads were dirt roads therefore; walking with my aunt to get water wasn't all that fun. When someone got sick in the house, the trip to the hospital wasn't fun either. The clinic was far from where we stayed and when we would finally get there the patient care was awful. I remember my aunt would get upset about the patient care and tell me stories about when she was a nurse and how differently she would treat her patients. My aunt has always been a big influence in my life, especially when it comes to my love for nursing; she was the very first one who noticed my interest in it and has supported the love that I have for it since I can remember.

I moved from Peru to New Jersey with my mom when I was eight. While I had no knowledge of the English language, I happened to make my first accomplishment only six months after I moved; I had learned English so well that my accent was gone. Ten years later I was on my own; it wasn't a decision I made, but more of a decision that was made for me. I had no one to turn to for help, whether it was financially or emotionally, I only had myself. I had to rent a small room by myself and get two jobs so that I could afford rent and food. A few weeks after my high school graduation I started something that has forever changed my life and that I will be forever thankful for and proud of; I enrolled in school to become a medical assistant. It was by far the most difficult time for me, I was on my own, I had two jobs and I had recently started school. To make matters worse I had no car, which made getting to and from, both work and school very difficult however, with the help of the New Jersey Transit I was able to make it everywhere on time. There were many times that the thought of dropping out of school crossed my mind, but knowing that this would bring me one step closer to achieving my goal kept me on track. It was a fast paced nine month course; it wasn't easy specially with having two jobs, but nine months later I was in Virginia Beach getting hired from my externship at the New Hope Center for Reproductive Medicine. That very rough patch in my life has taught me a lot, and I wouldn't change anything, even if I could. I am so proud of where I am today and that I'm still working towards my goal.

The love that I have for taking care of others, helping others, and putting someone else before myself came to me when I was younger. As I got older my aunt gave me a better understanding of what a nurse does and I knew then, that becoming a nurse was what I wanted to do. Delivering the best patient care possible is one of the many reasons as to why I am so eager to become a registered nurse. I want to make sure that patients are receiving the best patient care possible and i know that I will contribute into making that happen. Working in the OB/GYN field as a medical assistant for 3 years has definitely proved to me that having patience, the will to listen as well as the will to educate patients, are very important qualities that all nurses should have.

Knowing how to speak, read and write Spanish and English fluently is something that in our day in age can be very helpful. There are patients out there that only know how to speak Spanish; I know how that feels because I was once one of those patients. As a result, when I reach my goal of becoming a registered nurse I will do my best to put all my good qualities into good use. Although I understand the responsibility that nurses carry, I also understand that it will be a very rewarding and satisfying career. Aside from helping others, I find many things in the medical field very interesting and I'm always willing and eager to learn about something new. Knowing that by becoming a nurse I will be able to learn and see something new every day, makes me even more passionate about the nursing field.

Though I am aware that the RN program at MCI isn't easy, in fact it is accelerated and can be overwhelming at times, I am more than willing to give it my all. With one job at hand, I am confident that the decision I've made to become a registered nurse will only add on to the accomplishments I've already made. I look forward to learning in this program, all that I need to succeed in my career as a nurse.
Avatar 2 / 7  
I really like the essay, but I suggest that you revise it for some grammatical errors.
"To make matters worse I had no car, which made getting to and from, both work and school very difficult however, with the help of the New Jersey Transit I was able to make it everywhere on time"

This sentence would be better like this:
To make matters worse I had no car, which made getting to and from, both work and school, very difficult; however, with the help of the New Jersey Transit I was able to make it everywhere on time

Again, I like the essay, but I found other punctuation errors like this, so revise it and you'll be golden :)
Good Luck!
I am from a very small and poor town in Peru named Ventanilla

I come from a very small town in Peru, named V entanilla.

Growing up in Ventanilla with my aunt Flor made me appreciate things a lot different than most people and at a very young age too.

Growing up in this poor town with my aunt , Flor made me appreciate things differently from other people from a very tender age.

The town i grew up in was very limited to a lot of things people take for granted elsewhere. The roads were dirt roads therefore; walking with my aunt to get water wasn't all that fun. When someone got sick in the house, the trip to the hospital wasn't fun either.

The life there was no way closer to even averagely comfortable one.

Home / Undergraduate /  I'am from a very small and poor town in Peru; Registered Nursing Program