"The 'small-school' feel and broad education" - Why Northwestern?

zdmw911 9 / 32  
What are the unique qualities of Northwestern - and of the specific undergraduate school to which you are applying - that make you want to attend the University? In what ways do you hope to take advantage of the qualities you have identified?

Northwestern is the best of both worlds. Firstly, it has the "small school" feel with just over 8000 undergraduates, but provides an unduly broad education across six schools and unprecedented opportunities to students. As a student who aspires to be a scientific researcher, the I appreciate the fact that Weinberg College not only provides, but also encourages undertaking internships, volunteer opportunities and applying for undergraduate research grants provided by Northwestern. These opportunities will allow me to bridge the gap between theory and the "real world".

Secondly, Northwestern balances teaching responsibility and research endeavors perfectly; despite being research-based, Northwestern never neglects its undergraduate education, as 90% of the faculty teaches undergraduate courses. The Weinberg school also provides a hint of liberal arts education with its distribution requirements. My cousin recalled his experiences at UC Berkeley, another research-based institution, where his professors were so focused on their research endeavors that they sometimes had to compromise their teaching responsibilities.

Thirdly, Northwestern students possess both intellect and zeal; an education at Northwestern is more than just a diploma. Students here may be intellects, but they are definitely not hermits, as evidenced by their vigorous involvement in contributing to a vibrant campus life. For example, "Dillo Day", or Armadillo Day, started off as a small celebration in honor of the armadillo, but has since evolved into a much larger celebration that is, thankfully, not just in honor of armadillos! Some of the past performers at Dillo Day such as The Decemberists and The Black Keys are among my favorite bands.

Students at Northwestern are always on the lookout to be proactive and engage with the wider community, as evidenced by Northwestern's environmental initiatives. Most would not consider this to be a key factor in their college decision, but it is to me; Hong Kong is one of the most polluted cities in Asia, with pollution reaching record levels this year. Environmental action is not only important to protect wildlife, but also to protect human health. Having led can recycling activities in my own school, I know how important yet easy it is to carry out our responsibility in saving the environment. Northwestern's "Green Initiatives" such as the Sustainability Working Group and the "Going Green" initiative at Mayfest illustrate the civility of students and staff at Northwestern, justifying their number 8 ranking in the annual "green power" usage out of all universities in the US.

Upon exploring the program I was most interested in (the Department of Biological Sciences), I browsed the Biology Students Association "past events" page and couldn't help but smile at how approachable faculty appeared to be. Regretfully, I have not had the chance to visit Northwestern University or speak to faculty because I am on the other side of the globe, but just reading "FREE PIZZA!!! All are welcome!" indicated to me that Northwestern is the place I want to attend. It is no surprise that there are college advisors at Weinberg, but it is a very welcome surprise that they figuratively pledge allegiance to undergraduates; they stick with you no matter how many times you change your major. It is this dedication to students and these cordial student-faculty relationships that are conducive to learning and make Northwestern a truly impressive and unique school.

The Biology Students Association not only has its connections with faculty, but provides biology homework help sessions and even an "Unofficial Guide to Getting Involved in Research at Northwestern" that simultaneously exudes intellect and gregariousness. Students at Northwestern are not pedants; they are not the aggressively competitive type of student that I have been surrounded by for my life here in Hong Kong. Just a browse through the biology department website has shown me the support and solidarity of students and faculty at Northwestern. Northwestern emanates an aura of amiability that propels my desire to be a part of this unique university.
wwd 1 / 8  
Each paragraph talks about a connection between Northwestern and yourself, which is really great!

I can see that you really know Northwestern well, but I think each paragraph seems to be loosely connected. Maybe you should use some transition words between each paragraph.

Good luck! : )

btw, if you have some time to comment on my main essay, it will be great! Thanks~
amitbhasin 2 / 7  
This is REALLY good because you totally individualized the essay for Northwestern. I love everything you said and I wouldn't change anything :)
As a student who aspires to be a scientific researcher, I appreciate the fact that the Weinberg College not only provides, but also encourages students to take

Is this the name of the department?---> the department of biological sciences (If that is the name of the department, I think it should be capitalized.

Again here... probably it should have capital letters: "unofficial guide to getting involved in research at Northwestern"...

:-)

Home / Undergraduate / "The 'small-school' feel and broad education" - Why Northwestern?