'Small things have the potential to create an impact' - OSU Honors

cherrybomb94 20 / 44  
Please tell us about a book that has influenced you, from any point in your life. Rather than retelling the story, please concentrate on why the book influenced you.

Of all the books I've read, the biography Jane Addams: Spirit in Action, by Louise Knight, has been the most influential. This biography tells the story of Jane Addams's life and her many accomplishments, including founding Hull House at age 29, cofounding the NAACP and the ACLU, and becoming the first American woman to receive the Nobel Peace Prize in 1931. What I found inspirational about Jane was her unstoppable drive; she was not just a dreamer but a doer. Unsettled by the social, economic, and political problems surrounding the nation at the time, she resolved to take action to try to fix them. She felt that her sense of purpose only became clear through helping others, and it became her life goal to change the world for the better. She became an advocate for women's suffrage, joined the settlement house movement, and spoke out on civil rights and pacifism. Although there were many obstacles at the time that stood in her way, she did not allow them to hinder her progress; rather she continued to do all that she could to better the lives of those around her. Reading about Jane Addams's perseverance and the incredible change she brought about made me realize the importance of service. Every person, I believe, has the power to make a difference in the world. Although some problems are too big for me to solve on my own, there are several opportunities to create change in my neighborhood, and I want to take advantage of every opportunity I can. Even the small things I do, like tutoring and participating in schoolyard cleanups, have the potential to create an impact. Throughout my life, I want to continue to actively give back to my community, and one day, I hope to become a member of the Peace Corps. Even though I am just one person, I believe that I can create a positive change. Spirit in Action made me realize that with a strong purpose and direction, there is no limit to what one can achieve.
karan11295 5 / 42  
Nice essay, you tie up your aspirations with the theme of the book very well.
In the 10th line you can substitute a pronoun for the word opportunity. Right now it sounds a bit awkward. Use 'and I want to take advantage of every one of them' or something like that. In the last line you may use 'I' instead of 'one' but both are good. I personally like 'I' more.
wilsy 1 / 3  
hi :)
Try to avoid contraction words when it comes to formal writing.

Home / Undergraduate / 'Small things have the potential to create an impact' - OSU Honors