I am a social, life-loving person; Personal Statement for Psychology

orchid_elutza 1 / -  
Hello, this is my essay and any opinion or correction would help me. Thanks!

Albert Einstein affirmed that one should "strive not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" and I have to say that I agree. My name is Mihaela Sonea, I am 19 years old and the biggest concern I have at this time of my life is my future, the person I want to become and the values that should guide me through my career.

Usually, I try to see the best in any person that I meet, but the role models of my life are my parents. They taught me to be honest, positive, open-minded, caring, loving and to treat everyone with respect and admiration, because I can learn something new from any of them. I admire my sister for being interested in everything I do and for supporting me as much as she can. My friends consider me as being practical, realistic, polite, modest, trustful and independent.

I am trying my best to achieve most of my goals and one of them is to study Psychology abroad. Why do humans act the way they do? It seems a simple question, but you're as likely to know the answer as you are to learn about the meaning of life. From an early age I have been intrigued by the human mind and the way it works. This interest has been enhanced by my teacher of social sciences during the Psychology classes and by the books that I have read, especially "Introductory lectures on psychoanalysis" by Sigmund Freud and "Emotional intelligence" by Daniel Goleman. I was especially impressed by Freud's philosophical theory that God is a concept created by the superego to make sense of its experiences, and that we have a tendency to hold back our urges and repress our impulses; one way these are released is through our dreams. Because the unconscious can be disturbing or even harmful, Freud believes that the unconscious expresses itself in a symbolic language. I first realized I wanted to study Psychology while taking Drama courses a few years ago, because in order to portray characters I had to understand their mind and develop their personality.

As a vice-president of a non-governmental organization, my job is to support the president in taking decisions, come up with new ideas for volunteering projects and get involved in any activity that we organize. This job requires patience and compassion, along with willingness to help and motivate others. I have received certificates and awards for good behavior, attendance and punctuality, demonstrating my enthusiasm in everything I do. My work experience in the volunteering area has given me the chance to develop critical skills which are essential, such as good communication with others, a strong determination to achieve my best and dedication to all work I undertake. If I were to choose only one activity that has a unique place in my heart, it would be the one with teachers and students from Hockerill Anglo-European College, when we managed to help mentally disabled children to learn a little bit of English and where we renovated seven classes belonging to their Special School. I wish I could share photographs with you. Many British friends I made there have stayed close and very dear to me.

I feel pleased to mention the experience I am most proud of, which is my participation at the Eurogame of the European Parliament in Strasbourg, France. This activity has brought me a widely perspective on different kind of culture, lifestyle and body language. One of my interests outside of school is keeping fit. I am a member of a gym which I attend daily and enjoy long distance running along with weight training. In my spare time, I relax by doing yoga, horse riding, painting and ice skating. I am a firm believer that exercise helps to relieve stress and depression.

In conclusion, I believe I would be a valuable student for your university as I am a social, life-loving person, who enjoys not only to study, but has also learnt to take on responsibilities and be hard-working. I am committed and will give total dedication to my chosen career in Psychology.
maerd2012 5 / 17 1  
I don't familiar with UK PS and don't know if the requirement and type are any different from the American PS.
So...I think it is a well-written essay and you reached your points clearly.
Good luck:)

Home / Undergraduate / I am a social, life-loving person; Personal Statement for Psychology