Social work Admission (advocate for fair and equitable access to public services)

kofolaguda 1 / 5  
Explain in 375 - 750 words why you are seeking an MSW degree and how you plan yo use the degree to advocate for social and economic justice to benefit populations at risk.

I have been interested in helping profession since I was quite young, I do love to meet the less privileged in my community, indentify their needs and wants, coming up with ideas as to how to alleviate their problems. Most importantly, exploring ways to get help and services that meets their specific needs is my utmost pleasure.

My interest in social work started when I accepted a job offer as a case worker with a provider agency with the Department of Social Services (DHS). The most important role of a foster care social worker was to ensure the safety and well being of children that are committed to the custody of DHS, as well as to ensure permanency in children life; Permanency in a child's life can be achieved by way of reunification with biological parent, adoption or an independent living arrangement when the child is of aged. Through my employment with this agency, I became aware of social and economic injustice limiting the population that I serve. Children are removed from homes due to abuse and neglect, parents lack motivation and do not follow through DHS stipulated goals in order to have their children returned to them. Clients have limited access to public services such as shelter, money, food, medical care, employment, positive support group, transportation, mental health counseling outreach facility and education.

Foster care experiences are detrimental and emotionally traumatic to the life of those involved, children exhibits behavioral challenges that often affects their education performances and self esteem. Children need not to be abandoned in foster care system if the society is doing enough to ensure family stability. Social work isn't about dragging people through the system but it is about advocating for social injustice and empowering clients and community by working with them collaboratively as a member to alleviate their living conditions.

Most of the children in foster care are from lower end of the social-economic status, poverty and poverty- related challenges and structural inequalities are some of key factor that contributed to unequal representation of children in foster care. Lack motivation and inaccessibility of public benefits has kept children in the foster care system. There is greater need of competent social workers to provide the missing link for those in need of connection.

Social work isn't about dragging people through the system but it is about advocating for social injustice and empowering clients and community by working with them collaboratively as a member to alleviate their living conditions.

My immediate goal is to become a licensed social worker. I will like to obtain knowledge and competency needed to advocate for fair and equitable access to public services for my client. I hope to obtain clinical counseling skills needed to empower my clients to become independent and take control over their own lives. I am interested in gaining understanding about how policies are developed in all level and how such policies can influence my practice settings as well as how it will affects the population that I serve. These knowledge and competency will advance my mission of improving the quality of people's life. I am confident that my past experiences and sincere dedication to making a difference will allow me to succeed in this program and I look forward to the challenges and reward of the program.
I always give the same answer: The Elements of Style by Strunk and White.

It is the best book!! :-) Other than that, the best kind of book is the kind that interests you. Read each sentence aloud, and then type it. :
klatz238 4 / 27  
Dear Lamido,
I think you should try to dedicate a paragraph to discusing why you have choosen the school that you are applying to. You have explained why you want to study the programme but you haven't told us why you consider the school the best option. I think a little explanation of the connections between school potency, your career goal and the programme of choice will make your essay complete. This is just a thought.

Yes Kevin suggested the same book to me few days ago and i have already started reading it. I believe it will help a great deal. But Kevin, if i may ask, can you explain the reason for reading aloud the sentences and type them? I'm curious about that.
OP kofolaguda 1 / 5  
Thanks Kunle. I have also ordered for the book suggested by Kevin. Cant wait to get it... I think I understand what you meant about me dedicating a paragraph to discuss why I am choosing the school.. I am working on that as well. Thanks
klatz238 4 / 27  
Oh sorry, you said you have 'ordered' for the book, does that mean you are paying to get it? I got mine free online. The one i got is the fourth edition though, it was last modified in 2003 and it is about 109 pages. I think you can google the same copy unless you want the latest edition which, of course, might require payment.

Kevin, towards the end of the introduction, White re-emphasised Strunk advice "if you don't know how to pronouce a word, say it loud. Why compounding ignorance with inaudibility? Why run and hide?" i don't think i get the 'essence' of saying it loud even as i study alone in my room, or don't you think i should?
OP kofolaguda 1 / 5  
I paid for the book online. Didn't know I can download for free.. lol.. Thanks any way.

I think I agree with Kevin about reading out sentences aloud. This can help you spot common mistakes in your writing when you read it aloud. I do it sometimes when I have no one to critique my writing and it has been helpful. Sometimes I am anxious and nervous when writing and thus make silly grammatical mistakes, saying it out may help you catch such mistakes and then you can reword your writing better.

Am curious to know.. Where are you located? I mean your state of resident?
But Kevin, if i may ask, can you explain the reason for reading aloud the sentences and type them? I'm curious about that.

I bet you could correctly guess the answer if you tried. If you type a sentence with a grammar error and someone corrects the error for you, you should type the sentence 10 times correctly and speak it 10 times correctly. This becomes a meditation. You will be programming your brain like a computer. If you type the sentence with correct grammar and speak it with correct grammar, you will be learning at a deep level, activating all parts of the brain.

Whenever you study anything, pour your attention over it. Saturate it with your attention. :-)

Oh, I just noticed Kofo's explanation. Yes, that is true! I think you probably will notice some errors if you speak sentences aloud instead of just typing.

Kevin, towards the end of the introduction, White re-emphasised Strunk advice "if you don't know how to pronounce a word, say it loud. Why compounding ignorance with inaudibility?

This is a different subject, I think. I do not remember that part of the book, but it sounds like he is giving advice about speaking to others. Ignorance causes you to mispronounce, and inaudibility causes you to not be heard. I really do not know exactly what he meant!

:-)
klatz238 4 / 27  
Yes Kevin, that's you; always with the right answer. 10ks so much for the education.

Ok, Kofo, I'm a Nigerian. I reside in Ogun State and I'm a Yoruba by tribe. Do I sound familier or why did you ask?
OP kofolaguda 1 / 5  
Oh good! I visited Ogun state during my last visit to Nigeria and made lots of friends. Nice to have you on this forum. Wishing you all the best in your endeavors.

Home / Undergraduate / Social work Admission (advocate for fair and equitable access to public services)