Software engineering and computer engineering - Waterloo essay

doris101 1 / -  

1. Reasons for choosing your program and Waterloo

[Please tell us about your educational goals, your interest in your chosen program(s), and your reasons for applying to the University of Waterloo. If you have applied to more than one program please discuss your interest in each program.]

Note: I've applied for software engineering and computer engineering as an alternative choice.

The field of computer science is constantly evolving and has impacted every industry imaginable.
I'm drawn to its interdisciplinary, logical, complex, and impactful nature. Whenever I write code, whether it's for competitive programming or personal projects, it's satisfying to see how computers extend the logical aspects of our minds to produce results from computed numbers to beautiful graphs and websites.

I love Waterloo for its strong and innovative program. I'm looking forward to courses like SE 350 (Operating Systems - explains the working of computers) and CS 480 (Machine Learning).

Moreover, I've also realized that the best way to learn is to apply and build. Hence, the co-op program is perfect for me. Waterloo is also a tech hub, serving as the ideal college town. Finally, the hustle-culture and driven student body with the cohort system will push my intellectual boundaries. (895 char / 900 limit)

One at a time.
As far as academic goals are concerned, this response does not have any clear and stand-out reasons provided. Yes, general explanations for a field of study are provided, but none are specific enough to be fulfilled by a Waterloo education alone. The discussion is only ordinary and does not excite the screener to read. There is no reason to remember this application. The academic path is not clear for this student should he decide to attend Waterloo.

The writing instruction also requires the student to individually discless his interest in other major courses within the same prompt. He mentions 2 other courses as back-up considerations but does not explain why in this essay. Therefore, the response is incomplete and cannot be fully considered by the screener to be a complete application document.

His understanding of the university and his potential to kickstart his career is severely lacking. The answers provided show a lack of academic planning in relation to starter career goals as Waterloo can provide. This could be considered an empty response to the needed explanation.
kokosi 1 / 4  
@doris101
I have to agree with Holt as well. The more specific you can be, the better. Show that you're really applying to Waterloo because you want it more than anything. "Strong and innovative program" just doesn't cut it if you don't explain clearly how it fits in with your aspirations. Also, why do you want to go there? How is it different from other colleges?

Home / Undergraduate / Software engineering and computer engineering - Waterloo essay