'Solidarity is horizontal and respectful' -Common app essay

karim349 1 / -  
"Solidarity is horizontal. It respects the other and learns from the other. I have a lot to learn from other people." Eduardo Galeano

As a young man, I have become aware of and live Galeano's sentiments and have cast this on my position as a minority in my country. I have taken initiatives to fight for my right to have my voice heard, fight for what I believe, and most importantly fight for my faith- the right to worship God according to my Catholic doctrine. What has happened in Tahrir has empowered me to change Muslim perspectives on Egyptian Catholics in my daily life; I have stood up until my voice was heard. I have actively involved myself in political debates about Egypt's uncertain future, which have taken place at school.

Egyptians were once world renowned as the creators of the pyramids, the pioneers of civilization and now we are the example of the most peaceful revolution in the recent unrest in the Middle East. I agree with Galeano's wise words especially with regards to the position of the Catholics Christian minority in Egypt.

Not only was the revolution a great success but the actions and behavior of the Egyptian populace were exemplary. Christians and Muslims stood side by side to fight for one purpose; freedom, a right that even God has decreed for all mankind. Christians held hands and encircled the Muslims while they prayed. Muslims marched shoulder to shoulder with the Christians upon Tahrir Square.

However as a Christian in Islamic Egypt, I sometimes feel that my voice is comparable to a mouse since Tahrir Square. Not only do I feel like my voice is not heard, but I also feel that my opinions as a Catholic Christian is grouped into the voice of the Coptic Christians of which I am not. When we are not heard, we feel that we are outcasts. For the Catholics in Egypt, our revolution is yet to be resolved.

The Christian community is a minority here in Egypt, and the Catholics are a minority still within the Christian faith and while the revolution gave the illusion of unity and fairness, our voices were not heard. I believe for a successful transition to a new democratic Egypt, solidarity will be key. Egyptians must understand that we are fed under one rooftop and when our rooftop collapses, Catholic Christians, Coptic Christians, and Muslims alike, will suffer. Coptic Christians and Catholic Christians must learn to work as a unit for the sake of their lives and the lives of the coming generation. Coptics need to include the Catholics because sometimes it seems as if we do not belong in Egyptian society, do not belong in the country of our ancestors, and thus we are made to feel we do not belonging anywhere.

My faith has wavered since the revolution but I still feel that there is hope in one day being able to practice my faith freely and to exercise solidarity amongst all Egyptians.
Guest /  
I don't know, just my opinion but I feel like this is more of an informative essay. The aim of the common app essay is to show the admissions committee who you are as a person and how the experiences you've had in your life have changed you as a person and contributed to your personal growth as well as how you will be able to contribute to the campus community. I feel like this essay does not really show who you are. You write well but instead of focusing on facts that can easily be researched on, elaborate on the initiatives you took and the political debates your partook in. How did they change you and help you grow as a person?

:)
SueHeck 2 / 10  
You have a terrific subject, fascinating idea, but I think this essay fails to express what it is like to be a minority catholic and the general unity/protest ideals of the climate in Egypt. I think I would dwell more on the historic time in Egypt, your role in it, with some discussion of the role of minority religious beliefs. Was there a time when you were in the streets, raising your fists next to your neighbor? That sort of thing. Make the reader FEEL what it was like to be a part of this historic moment, even if in some ways you do NOT feel as if you are a part of the revolution. Make your exclusion a point, but not the sum total of the essay. If you were lucky enough to live through a revolution, I think most of us would love to know what that was like.
rifatmursalin 13 / 36  
Great concept, but you can really make it perfect by improving it. Make it much more personal. Talk about yourself, your qualities; show who you are through this essay. It can be hard sometimes but it's not impossible.

Good luck!

Home / Undergraduate / 'Solidarity is horizontal and respectful' -Common app essay