" Oh that's my song!" - U of Chicago supplement question 2

Mixchick 1 / 2  
Optional: Question 2. Share with us a few of your favorite books, poems, authors, films, plays, pieces of music, musicians, performers, paintings, artists, blogs, magazines, or newspapers? Feel free to touch on one, some, or all of the categories listed, or add a category of your own.

Oh that's my song!
Listening to my I-pod touch I can manage to take you around the world and back. I have everyone from Femi Kuti to Ryo the Skywalker to Corinne Bailey Rae. Growing up with a Nigerian Father and an American mother, I can see where I can get my musical selection from. While visiting my father house at a young age he was either playing Bob Marley or Sade Adu. I have over 210 musical artists from around the world. I decide not to limit to what I listen to, because each musician offers something special whether it be the lyrics or the beat. With Femi Kuti and artists like Nneka they used their music as a weapon to up lift people in Nigeria and other countries.For instance Nneka song Mind Vs. Heart, she wants people to understand that you must use your mind before you can use your heart. Listening to music for me does not have borders. It is one of the greatest ways to get in touch with someone else's culture, while also having an understanding of who they as a person.
myang 4 / 10  
Is there a word limit? But I really like this essay because you give great specifics. However, I feel like you're wasting words with sentences such as For instance Nneka song Mind Vs. Heart, she wants people to understand that you must use your mind before you can use your heart. because it shows absolutely nothing about you the person in my opinion. In addition, I feel that you need to show how the music has influenced you in some way rather than just saying that it shows you are a really open-minded person culture-wise. Feel free to wipe away my comments from your mind cause I'm really not that great a writer anyways haha.

PS: Is I-pod really spelled I-pod? I always though it was just Ipod. haha just wondering.

Good luck at UC! I'm applying there too!

Home / Undergraduate / " Oh that's my song!" - U of Chicago supplement question 2