SOP for MS in computer science - All critisms are welcomed

fall2013 1 / -  
Please review my sop and provide your views.
---------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------

I would like to introduce myself as a prospective student of Auburn University. I am currently working in Tata Consultancy Services (TCS), as Assistant Systems Engineer. Even though, I am working in an honourable position at a reputed firm, I miss the intellectual challenges and creative satisfaction that I always yearned. It made me reassess and reflect upon the career choices I made and vividly envisage my passion for computer science with utter conviction.

Academics have always been my stronghold. My inquisitive nature and a strong desire to ingrain the fundamental principles, as well as, techniques of any subject of study have enabled me to achieve an excellent academic record. I was awarded the Merit Certificate for my performance in the Indian Certificate of Secondary Education for securing school first and 100% in Computer Applications. Later, in highly competitive entrance examination to the undergraduate program, I stood among top 2 % out of 170,000 candidates and admitted into xxx, one of the best Engineering colleges in India. The growing involvement of computers in various fields of science and also my strong passion for it encouraged me to choose Information Technology as my branch of study in undergraduate studies. I had completed my B.Tech with C.G.P.A. of 9.34 on a scale of 10.00 standing among the top 0.7% out of 180 students of my batch in the department.

A well-structured and comprehensive course curriculum at xxx has given me a broad perspective of the various fields in Computer Science, placing me on the right position to determine my areas of specialization. Courses like Programming Language Concepts, Data Structures, Theory of Computation, Computer Architecture, Language Processors, Operating Systems, Computer Networks, Software Engineering and Communication Systems that form the basis of Computer Science has provided me with a firm base in this fascinating area. As my schooling progressed, the versatile and superficial nature of computers solidified my interest in it. I continued to develop a clear understanding of the basic concepts and gain an insight into the Science of Computing.

Learning became fun when it came to the practical. In the final year of my UG, I have done a project named "An Efficient Elliptic Curve Mechanism for Wireless Networks" which enabled me to explore the subject in depth. Elliptic Curve Cryptography is particularly attractive for applications on constrained environments like wireless network, because shorter key sizes translate data with less power and storage requirement, reduced computing time and processing overhead. The main aim of the project is to speed up the pre-computation stage of window-w nonadjacent form of elliptic curve scalar multiplication by conjugate additions and strategic points. This project provided me with ample opportunity to deepen my knowledge in the related subjects, nurture my ability to function in groups, learn to converse with professors from various departments, efficiently plan, organize, and finally document the work and only then enjoy the fruits of a job well done.

After completing my undergraduate studies, I joined Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) the most reputed and Asia's largest consultancy service provider with the intention of applying the knowledge I had gained during my undergraduate studies. My team is working for Hawaiian Airlines, a leading Aviation Company in Hawaii. I was involved in 'Reservation Analysis System -Booking Data Mart' a project based on Microsoft Business Intelligence Technology and Data warehouse concepts. Currently, I am part of a team working on 'Loyalty Management program - Hawaiian Miles'. My responsibilities include interacting with the client on a regular basis to understand the requirement, develop the code based on requirements, test the code and then move the same into the production environment. I was awarded as Star Performer for my exceptional performance in TCS.

During my work experience at TCS, I learned about serviceability and functionality of various real world applications, observed and assisted in different developmental stages of software project, enhanced my capabilities as a team player and further grasped the effectiveness of computer technologies in various departments. Throughout my work, I have remained totally dedicated to excellence, driven by curiosity about this interesting area of Databases and Information Technology. I believe that a dedicated study of Computer Science will allow me to aggregate all my previous knowledge and related research experience in this field can help me in achieving my career goal.

To serve the community I worked as a volunteer in 'National Service Scheme(NSS)' and 'National Cadet Cops(NCC)' where I along with my friends worked together to uplift the poor by teaching them healthy living practices and by supporting the constructing schools, houses, free health check-up camps. These organizations helped me to mingle easily with everybody and to deal with different people and understand their needs.

The journey ahead promises to be an exciting one, it may no doubt be hard and demands at times. I am well aware that a career in research calls for personal commitment and personal sacrifice of time, leisure and immediate reward. However, my desire to realize my full potential and to make an original contribution to the field of Computer Science drive me to pursue a research career, which, I believe, will give me intellectual satisfaction, gratification of becoming a contributor to knowledge and personal rewards of learning and discovery. I not only possess the intellectual ability, sound preparation and the strong motivation for research but also consider myself mature, friendly to work with and open to criticism: qualities essential for group research. I am confident that given the opportunity, I would perform to the best of my abilities and seek to acquire skills that will help me to achieve my career goals and contribute fruitfully to the research endeavours. In conclusion, I would like to thank the graduate committee for giving me the opportunity to express myself.
charmoula 1 / 3  
I believe you need to add why the program at that college is the right one for you, also there are certain grammatical and tense mistakes. Also, show the admissions committee that you have researched on their areas of interest, you might want to mention some names you want to work with.

"I had completed my BTech" is wrong, "i completed my btech" should suffice.
"placing me on the right position to determine my area of specialisation" is wrong, "putting me in the position"
"in the final year of my UG, I had done" is wrong, "i have done".
"helped me to mingle easily" is wrong, "helped me mingle easily"
Also, the last sentence is not really necessary.

otherwise, it is decent, well-written. Wish you luck :)

Home / Undergraduate / SOP for MS in computer science - All critisms are welcomed