Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

"the source of happiness in our household was helping other people" - my UC

laurasanchez52 1 / 1  
UC essay prompt # 1
Describe the world you come from - for example, your family, community or school - and tell us how your world has shaped your dreams and aspirations.

Growing up in my family, the act of helping people was always the source of happiness in our household. Back in Colombia, my native land, healthcare resources were scarce. Many people struggled to pay for health care services as well as just being able to go to the doctor for a checkup. When my dad was diagnosed with cancer, the world around me completely changed. Prior to my father's diagnosis I saw the world with pink color glasses, I thought that when an individual wanted something, they automatically got it, but I was sorry to find out it was not like that. Seeing my mother's struggles over my father's illness opened my eyes and shaped my aspirations for the future. As I sat there next to my father waiting for him to go into the chemotherapy lab I realized that I wanted to help him, this eventually developed a struggle within myself to accomplish something I was yet to find out. Day in and day out I would be in the hospital room admiring all the doctors and nurses who took care of my father, little did I realize that this tiny hospital room became my world. As the days passed, my interest for a career in healthcare immensely grew; I would take biology books to the hospital, and frequently asked questions about my father's illness. While I was spending much of my time in the hospital developing my interest, I did not take time to realize how difficult it was for my mother, economically, physically, and emotionally. Her dedication to help my father with his own battle became the source of my strength, for this specific challenge helped me with the struggle that developed within me. I realized that even though my mother was struggling, the passion in her to help other people was greater than any struggle she could have ever faced. Perseverance and dedication became my goal in school, in helping my community, and those in need. Helping others can often become a realization of your own character. Through this event I learned that no matter what life puts on your way, you just have to find a way to push it out and put it aside in order to help not only yourself, but those around you who may be facing greater challenges than yourself.

Home / Undergraduate / "the source of happiness in our household was helping other people" - my UC