To spend a study semester in the USA - Global Undergraduate exchange program essay

MonsieurNN 1 / -  
Global Ugrad is a program for young leaders committed to serving their home communities.

Why would you be a great participant in a program?

When I was studying at school, I could not ever think of becoming a teacher myself. Yet, when I realized that my English was better than the English of my classmates was, I started to help them in their studying.

Later, when I was in a high school, I decided to teach English to children. However, not every parent was willing to give his or her child to the services of a schoolkid. It was at that time when I realized that it takes something more than just knowledge to achieve success. When I arrived at the houses of my clients for the first time, parents of children usually were a bit skeptical, but seeing my passion, desire, and ability to communicate with children, I was able to quickly gain their trust. With persistence and hard work, I managed to find many good clients. One year later, I became self-reliant and was able to afford higher education.

Currently studying in the third semester in the field of methods of teaching a foreign language, I can see how many opportunities I have now, and how much more I will have in the future. I had already become a participant in several all-Ukrainian scientific conferences and received an award for the best report. My reports involved political and linguistic issues. These are the topics of big interest and importance for me. What is more, I was elected minister of foreign affairs in student self-government and had a valuable experience of preparation and participation in meetings with foreign students.

Now, I have the opportunity to spend a semester in the USA. As an eclectic person, I will do my best to make the most out of it. I want to organize a club, where I will tell about tradition, culture, and history of Ukraine. I intend to make a series of internet broadcasts with American students and my fellow groupmates in Ukraine, in order to form a better understanding between the citizens of these countries. History always was my ardor, and I will definitely learn more about the history of the place in which I will reside. Communicating with the locals, listening to their stories, becoming familiar with their daily problems and lifestyle, all of the listed, I consider a part of a recognition of the identity of the United States, and I am going to engage in it with great pleasure. Naturally, I will increase my English skills and will be able to learn more about communicative behavior in the USA.

For almost three years now, I have been teaching English. With great enthusiasm and admiration, I observe, the increasing interest of Ukrainians in learning English. I have strong convictions that my occupation is important for the community. If I will be selected for participation, I will be able to help more people by expanding my knowledge and becoming a better teacher. I will have an opportunity to find out the peculiarities of the education in the US. After returning to Ukraine, I will do my best to make positive changes in the Ukrainian educational system.

Please express your opinion on my essay
Yaroslav, not all of the information in this essay can be used for the prompt requirement. Let me point out the paragraphs that you can use as the basis for your new essay. The changes can be based on paragraphs 3,5,4, in that order. After you revise the essay to use those 3 paragraphs for the basis of your skills as a student and how you plan to spend your time as a student, you will need to indicate a clear desire to return to the Ukraine after the semester abroad is over. You have not done that in this essay so it seems like you plan in staying in the US after the semester is completed.

Your reason for returning to the Ukraine is unacceptable as it is too simple and vague in reference. You need to have a solid post study plan for your return home presented in this essay. If possible connect your plans as a student and teacher with your desire to return to the Ukraine at the end of the academic year. You have to be very clear that the skills you will be building upon will be useful to your country and its students which is why you do not have a desire to stay in the USA longer than it takes to complete the semester.

Remember, you need to present a strong essay that indicates your desire to put what you will learn to good use and also, that you hope to become a bridge between the Ukraine and the USA by introducing Ukrainian culture to your classmates and then introducing the US culture to the Ukrainians upon your return to your home country.

Home / Undergraduate / To spend a study semester in the USA - Global Undergraduate exchange program essay