I have spent half of my lunch breaks sitting in the physics lab; princeton supplement

eng_geek 4 / 6 1  
If you are interested in pursuing a B.S.E. (Bachelor of Science in Engineering) degree, please write a 300-500 word essay describing why you are interested in studying engineering, any experiences in or exposure to engineering you have had, and how you think the programs in engineering offered at Princeton suit your particular interests.

Since the very beginning science has always intrigued me. I used to love spending my time observing the apparatuses in the physics laboratory during the recess at school, in my primary school days when we were not allowed to use them. I used to go inside the lab and observe my teachers and seniors performing experiments and it was then that I realized that this is what I want to do.

I have spent half of my lunch breaks sitting in the physics lab with a high school physics teacher who later taught me Physics in my high school years. From the very start I had a habit of trying to know everything that goes around me. While he prepared the lab for the seniors who would come after the lunch break, I asked thousands of questions regarding the things that I saw around me. And he was patient enough to answer my entire questions which sometimes were very silly. I remember when I was in my 3rd grade I asked him a question that today I feel was senseless. I asked him that Sir, if we live inside the earth and earth is made of rocks then how do we see the sky. He gave me a smile and then with a globe kept in the lab he explained me how we didn't live in the Earth but lived on it. Understanding my next question from the look on my face he even told me how we do not fall from the earth, that was my first introduction to gravity.

My experiences with my teacher and the physics lab taught me that engineering is my ideal major. I am a keen observer of phenomena and like going into the depth of a topic. As a prospective engineering student my vision is to make the world a better place for the disabled and I hope to design an efficient vocal cord machine so that no person has difficulty in expressing their views.

So to bring my dreams to reality I want to study in an environment that will bring out the best in me, a college that is renowned for its excellent engineering course and student body that is diverse as well as talented. This is what Princeton University provides its students. Its independent research programs for the B.S.E students will give me an opportunity to work upon my ideas and help me gain a massive experience. Its mechanical engineering course will give me an opportunity to earn basic knowledge of different engineering fields while providing an in depth, enriching and practical knowledge of mechanical engineering field.

As today an engineer does not just restrict himself to the world of experiments rather has taken a step ahead and has moved out to places. With number of opportunities around I am sure that my Princeton education will help me succeed in life and the experience that I gain in Princeton will guide me throughout my life.
maomao315040 3 / 21 3  
I remember when I was in my 3rd grade I asked him a question that today I feel was senseless.

this is a bit too coloquial...

I think you have not talked sufficiently about Princeton. like the place Engineering sch is at blah blah you may want to refer to that. kind of imagine you are at the place and how you are going to enjoy the opportunities the sch has to offer

good luck

i rea-ed the sch. Hoping the results will be good
zdv 12 / 68 2  
I USED TO SPEND half of my lunch breaks sitting
saw around me. (And) He was patient (cut off the and)
I asked him "Sir, if we live inside the earth and earth is made of rocks then how do we see the sky?"

a globe kept in the lab he explained TO me how we didn't live in the Earth but lived on it.
these were a few writing errors. on the whole, the essay is good.
Millin Gabani 10 / 22 1  
eng_geek
you should not include your 3rd grade Question and Answer, It feels that u are expanding the essay to increase word count. You can however menton that your physics teacher was the one who taught you the basics concepts like gravity even you were too small, as you have taken intrest in physics

Home / Undergraduate / I have spent half of my lunch breaks sitting in the physics lab; princeton supplement