FSU Essay: Spirited Character Makes a True Seminole

NRiusech 1 / 1  
The Latin words, "Vires, Artes, Mores" have been the guiding philosophy behind Florida State University. Vires signifies strength of all kinds - moral, physical, and intellectual; Artes alludes to the beauty of intellectual pursuits as exemplified in skill, craft, or art; and Mores refers to character, custom, or tradition. Describe how one or more of the values embodied in these concepts are reflected in your life.

---------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------

"Forward Forever, Backward Never; Within Ourselves, Our Future Lies." This has been the Girls State Motto for the past 63 years, and truly represents the strength and core values learned by the delegates who have attended the program. A Girls Stater never dwells on the past, is able to move on and rise above a tough situation, and knows that it is her own responsibility to shape her future. Attending the 2010 Florida Girls State Program not only developed my leadership skills and heightened my interest in pursuing Political Science, but also opened my mind to explore the numerous opportunities offered by Florida State University.

On the first day, I was elected as commissioner of my city and already had my sights set on running for Lieutenant Governor. When I met Leah Miller, the rambunctious mayor of my "sister city", I knew she would be the perfect running mate for my campaign. Leah, the hopeful Governor-to-be, had a certain charm and energetic character that instantly caught my attention. Running against eight other pairs of Federalist Party nominees, the endless hours spent writing and giving speeches, decorating posters, and rallying support for our campaign finally paid off when we won the primary election.

Preparing for the general election was by far the most stressful experience of the week. Running against my own roommate, Nationalist Party candidate Jane Darby Menton, added to the intensity. Despite losing the general election, I never regretted running for office and was first to congratulate Jane Darby. We hugged, laughed, and celebrated for the rest of the night. No, I was not the 2010 Florida Girls State Lieutenant Governor. So what? In my experience, it's not about the title you held or the votes you won; it's about the person you became in the process.

On the last night of Girls State, we attended the Awards Ceremony at Oglesby Union. Out of the 300 girls who attended the Florida Girls State program, the Executive Board selected 12 of them to receive the Outstanding Citizen Award. After the first 11 names had been called, the whole room was silently waiting in eager anticipation to find out who would be the final recipient. "And last but not least," said Mrs. Ihnenfeld, the Board Director, "for her outstanding character and integrity... Miss Natalie Riusech!" Extremely honored and awfully humbled, this was the defining moment of my Girls State experience.

From the classic tomahawk chop, to the thousands of fans decked out head to toe in garnet and gold, FSU has established an extensive history based on tradition. Throughout the campus, you can feel the strong sense of pride and unity that the students and faculty share. Vires, Artes, Mores. Together, all three of these values form the core of the university, but my spirited character is what makes me a Seminole. I plan on continuing my commitment to serving my school and community at Florida State by participating in Student Government and raising the morale of the student body.
icy242 1 / 1  
I know im not a grader or anything but its really good in my opinion.
ChicagoEditor - / 1  
Hi Natalie,

I think this paper flows pretty well, but I'm not sure that it totally focuses on your abilities, it seems like more of a record of your experience. Good luck!
Running against my own roommate,

wow, very interesting! That must have been a cool experience.

Hmmmm... it seems like this is an essay About Girls State that was re-used as a vires, artes, mores essay. Know what I mean? I think they want you to do a bit of analysis of one or more of those three concepts. Can you dig a little deeper when reflecting on the presence of one of these virtues in your life?

Instead of just telling about the experience, try to convey a lesson you learned or an insight you gained about one of the virtues.

Home / Undergraduate / FSU Essay: Spirited Character Makes a True Seminole