Spoils of Hard Work - Pitzer Supplement

gman1997 1 / -  
Prompt: Reflecting on your involvement throughout high school or within the community, how have you engaged with one or more of Pitzer's core values?

I usually have grammar problems, but general editing would be nice.

We are all covered head to toe with spoils of hard work. Laying and swaying in the hammock I listen to the rain ricochet off the thin steel roof. There is a leak right over my bed, so I figure the roof has failed, but that is no surprise. Swinging machetes is harder work than I thought. A little elbow grease and some serious biceps couldn't have hurt. Thank God for the rain. Without it no one can take a shower. The blue bucket atop the smaller building catches the rainwater and all we have to do is twist a nob and down it comes. Temperature isn't something to demand for; the temperature of the water is same as the rainwater. Coming from a first world country is a struggle for all of us, but we get used to it. We relinquish our own spoils for the beauty that surrounds us. It is a different world here. All of this beauty comes at a price and we all have to pay for it.

Environmental sustainability is key to the preservation of wildlife on the Galapagos Islands. There is a social responsibility between the people on the islands, except money plays a very little part. I embarked on the midwinter trip called, "Expedition Galapagos: A Program of Service Learning and Exploration". Along with other classmates, I helped the Hacienda Tranquila Volunteer Program in preserving the culture and wildlife of the Galapagos Islands day and night. We were especially taught the importance agriculture on the islands, for it was a source of food for most. We would spend fulfilling hours planting new trees, cutting down invasive species, and just helping other people on the island. Our focus wasn't only on the environment, but also the community. I took part in re-painting playgrounds, clearing paths to schoolhouses, and teaching the local children the importance of the plants in our garden. Good thing for the local people working at the Hacienda, because my Spanish was foreign to the kids that spoke it. Regardless to my inadequate Spanish speaking, the children hopefully got the message of importance that their island relied on the actions of the people rather than with words or promises. That is undoubtedly the motto of the Hacienda Tranquila.

Coming home from the trip is more of a struggle than a relief. I miss the simplicity of life on the Galapagos as well as the sense of accomplishment. Waking up in the morning and having a cup of coffee made from the milk I took from the cows earlier as well as the coffee beans we roasted the other day, is a paramount sense of acknowledgement for the work that gets put into things. I take for granted nearly everything I have back home. The clean running water, air conditioning, plumbing, and hot showers are all things I wouldn't normally live without.

I have become more of a minimalist now. Stumbling around the house turning off lights and the television when no one is using it. During lunch at school I waste as little food as possible and I encourage my friends to do the same. The motto of the Hacienda Tranquila remains in my mindset today, and I plan to hold the motto further if given the opportunity at Pitzer.
melramadhani 16 / 46 6  
Hi!

Your essay is generally good, but you should mention the core value of Pitzer that you've been engaged by your activity and linkback your experience to it. People here will be able to give you proper advice, and the admission committee will understand you better.

I hope I helped!

Home / Undergraduate / Spoils of Hard Work - Pitzer Supplement