'stabbed in the arm' - United States Naval Academy Essay

LostTime 1 / 2  
I need some help editing my essay, I am not a very strong essay writer. The essay must be under 500 words, it is currently 499 words. The prompt is:

(1) Describe what led to your initial interest in the naval service and how the Naval Academy will help you achieve your long range goals, and

(2) Describe a personal experience you have had which you feel has contributed to your own character development and integrity.

From a young age, the desire to give my country service is that of great immensity within myself. I learned from my Father that our Country comes first and foremost, although this mindset has not been altered since the day my Father retired from service. Seeing the violence, the terrorism, the horrendous acts committed upon humanity and this Country only have fortified my unyielding desire to serve. This Country was formed by great men who risked everything to create a utopia where freedom can not only exist, but flourish and remain unharmed by those who are spiteful towards it. I wish to serve in the United States Navy to safeguard the grail of freedom that many great men and women have sacrificed that of the highest extent of physical and mental belongings to create and uphold. For I hold strong regards for the future of America, its people, and their dreams. A career in Naval Service will be a great step for myself in knowing that my children will be able to walk outside and know that they have the ability to make any choice they desire that day, a life without threat, foreign and domestic, against their freedoms.

Although service is at the forefront of my mind, the need of becoming successful throughout other areas of my life did not diminish. The United States Naval Academy is an ideal institution in that it provides tools to give those who wish to give service to their country knowledge and a degree. To obtain a degree in Engineering is an unwavering goal for myself, the Naval Academy can become a catalyst to reach that goal while fulfilling my dedication to serve. An education at the USNA is more than an education, it is an education that will prepare me to join an elite force of Officers by offering skills that are second to none, it is an education that will forge bonds and unity that are unbreakable even from the hands of time. After experiencing Summer Seminar, I first hand saw what hard work and persistence poured into an education at the USNA can do for myself and this Country, and I would like to pour every part of me into the rigorous pathway through the Academy.

The first year of high school, freshman year, I was stabbed in the arm by an aggravated fellow student using a fishing knife. Rather than physically retaliating, I reported the incident to a school official. The student was immediately arrested. I had wanted him to be punished by law. After much thought and discussion with others, I came to the realization that spite and dislike was not the answer. A true moment of what has shaped my character. The charges were dropped, and with agreement, he was allowed to return to school. I did not wish for his life to be completely blemished by a single mistake that I believe he would not make again. I had learned to "turn the other cheek."
kakiasatt 1 / 7  
"I learned from my Father that our Country comes first and foremost, although this mindset has not been altered since the day my Father retired from service."

The 2nd part of that sentence is unnecessary, i think you can delete it altogether.

"This Country was formed by great men who risked everything to create a utopia where freedom can not only exist, but flourish and remain unharmed by those who are spiteful towards it."

Maybe try another word than Utopia... Land? I can't think of others but Utopia isn't quite what we strived for.

I think you should create a better ending. I like the story of the last paragraph a lot, but you should have a concluding sentence of some sort to wrap up your essay.

The ending to your 2nd paragraph would be a good ending to the essay, however i'm not sure how you'd want to re-arrange it, since it doesn't really fit with your current final paragraph.

Other than that I thought it was a great essay!!!! Sorry I couldn't come up with some help with your conclusion, but I hope giving you what i found to be the flaw helped! When i'm well rested I'll try and take another look to help you find a solution.
OP LostTime 1 / 2  
I appreciate the help! Regarding the ending and third paragraph, I really didn't know how to position those as they are two different prompts, for the most part. After deleting the second half of the sentence I have a few more words to use to improve upon my third paragraph.
OP LostTime 1 / 2  
Any other assistance would be wonderful. :)
kakiasatt 1 / 7  
As to a better ending, maybe try to add a few words after "I had learned to 'turn the other cheek' ... (and, for, because, from, etc. Continue with a reasoning that connects back to what you were talking about earlier in your essay, to complete the sentence and essay.) " How that incident shaped your character and led you to turn the other cheek... how it relates back to your goal of joining the Naval Academy.

Home / Undergraduate / 'stabbed in the arm' - United States Naval Academy Essay