"I must stand up for myself and have morals" UCF (environment and qualities)

teh1337c 2 / 2  
Hello everybody, the numbers are to identify which topics out of a list I am choosing. Please help me with this essay as UCF is the last chance I have of getting accepted into a real University as opposed to community college.

The topics were:
2. How has your family history, culture or environment influenced who you are?
4. What qualities or unique characteristics do you possess that would allow you to contribute to the UCF community?

2. Like most kids, I was raised in a house with my parents and sibling. We had a few dogs and cats, and both of my parents work. Unlike most kids though, I was raised in a rural neighborhood surrounded by evils such as the Ku Klux Klan. Being from such an intolerable neighborhood, I have developed a clear sense of acceptance and tolerability. I don't think anything else could have given me a clearer picture of what is right and what is wrong. I remember one day when I was in middle school, a group of local kids was picking on some African American kid, and when I stepped in to intervene, I got beat up. The next day, when I got home, there was a burning cross in my yard because I had helped "one of them." My mother called the police to report the incident, but all they told her was, "Ma'am, that's just the way things are around here." Needless to say, I no longer spent my time with the neighborhood kids anymore, and when I couldn't avoid it, I decided not to do anything that would make me look seem out of place with a bunch of rednecks and hicks. I no longer voiced my opinions for equality, and kept my mouth shut just to protect myself and my family, and rage grew within me all the while. Ever since then, I have always fought, literally and figuratively, against injustices and things I believe are wrong. So, to sum it all up, my environment has taught me that I must stand up for myself, and that I should fight prejudice, so that others don't have to go through what I have gone through.

4. My previous anecdote has shown that I have gone through some adversity as an adolescent. Throughout all of that, one thing that I kept intact was my code of ethics. I am a firm believer that the only thing that separates humans and animals is our morals and ethics. A chimpanzee will eat its own young if it goes hungry; a human mother will do anything, even give her own life, to ensure that her baby lives, and has the best life that it can. I'm not saying that everybody has crystal-clear morals, because, clearly, there are some sick puppies out there. What I am saying, however, is that without distinct morals and ethics, we are no better than the cannibal monkey previously mentioned. Everybody that I have known has told me that they are amazed by how I always stick to my guns. There have been times in my life when I have had to stop friends from shoplifting, fighting, and even smoking drugs. At the end of the day, a man without morals is a man without life.
2. Like most kids, I was raised in a house with my parents and siblings. --I think this should say, "...with my parents and one sibling" (or sister or brother) or 'siblings'.

Being from such an intolerable ---should this say 'intolerant'? Though I guess if the Klan lives there, it IS intolerable.

neighborhood, I have developed a clear sense of acceptance and tolerance .

... and when I couldn't avoid it, I decided not to do anything that would make me look seem out of place with a bunch of rednecks and hicks.

I no longer voiced my opinions for equality, and kept my mouth shut just to protect myself and my family, and rage grew within me all the while.---nice sentence!

Wow, this is powerful stuff, good for you. We need so many more people like you in the world.

4.
Throughout all of that, one thing that I have kept intact is my code of ethics.

Good job on your essays, you're an excellent writer. Good luck in school and have fun!
:)

Home / Undergraduate / "I must stand up for myself and have morals" UCF (environment and qualities)